HELP! (Soft Shell)

sanamushtaqz

Location (City and/or State)
Srinagar
Hey guys. I just joined this forum. I'm a recent turtle owner and I have my babies since 5 months now. They were doing just fine however I noticed that in one of them, a very tiny part of the shell by the side became very soft and when I touched it, it was peeled off. I can't decide what exactly it is. I'll post pictures as well. Also, can you tell me if the shell looks fine or there's some issue? Because I feel it looks very dry.

Attachments

• 20211028_231202.jpg
    20211028_231202.jpg
    717.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 20211029_145230.jpg
    20211029_145230.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 46

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK
Hi and welcome,
I don't know anything about keeping turtles but some more information may save some time and help members advise you.
What species, diet.........?
Can you post a picture of their home?
There is a section on Turtles in the Species Specific section which may help you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What do you feed the turtles? May we please see pictures of where the turtles live?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Yes, pictures of enclosure and lighting would help. Also type of foods and if pellets, which pellets.

You need to be sure there is the right calcium and vitamin D3 in the diet, and UVB for metabolizing D3.

With more info we can be more specific.

sanamushtaqz

Srinagar
Yes, pictures of enclosure and lighting would help. Also type of foods and if pellets, which pellets.

You need to be sure there is the right calcium and vitamin D3 in the diet, and UVB for metabolizing D3.

With more info we can be more specific.
Please suggest me what to feed them. The entire shell is not soft, I found a soft spot and when I touched it, it peeled off.

Attachments

• 16356169116391187211786181331183.jpg
    16356169116391187211786181331183.jpg
    608.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 163561695327993332673411454312.jpg
    163561695327993332673411454312.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 10

sanamushtaqz

Srinagar
What do you feed the turtles? May we please see pictures of where the turtles live?
I'll share the shell pictures. Can you please tell me if it looks fine or there's some issue. I can't really figure out. ? I'm so new to turtles. 20211030_131055.jpg

Attachments

• 20211030_131025.jpg
    20211030_131025.jpg
    899.1 KB · Views: 18

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Yes, the pitched scutes are unusual. A shell deformity?

This is no deformity. They are Indian roofed turtles (Pangshura tecta). They are very similar in habit to map turtles in the US. They actually look pretty good.

sanamushtaqz, can you post some pictures of your habitat for them? They need an aquatic habitat with a basking area above water, and the water needs to be kept clean. The spot you are concerned about looks like physical damage to me, no obvious signs of infection or anything to be greatly concerned about. Just make sure you have an appropriate enclosure with a good varied diet, and they have exposure to UV or natural sunlight.

Steve

sanamushtaqz

Srinagar
This is no deformity. They are Indian roofed turtles (Pangshura tecta). They are very similar in habit to map turtles in the US. They actually look pretty good.

sanamushtaqz, can you post some pictures of your habitat for them? They need an aquatic habitat with a basking area above water, and the water needs to be kept clean. The spot you are concerned about looks like physical damage to me, no obvious signs of infection or anything to be greatly concerned about. Just make sure you have an appropriate enclosure with a good varied diet, and they have exposure to UV or natural sunlight.

Steve

sanamushtaqz, can you post some pictures of your habitat for them? They need an aquatic habitat with a basking area above water, and the water needs to be kept clean. The spot you are concerned about looks like physical damage to me, no obvious signs of infection or anything to be greatly concerned about. Just make sure you have an appropriate enclosure with a good varied diet, and they have exposure to UV or natural sunligh

Steve
Yes, you're right. They are Indian Roofed Turtles and they are not deformed. They look like that and are beautiful. I showed the spot to some people and they confused me even more. Some say it's a fungal infection, others say it's shell rotting. However I know the shell peeled off then when I touched it. The rest of the shell is perfectly fine. Only this small spot idk what it is. There's no redness, no discharge, no swelling, no foul smell, nothing at all. For a fact, I know the shell has eroded at that spot. It cannot be fungal infection, I'm not sure about shell rotting though. As far as the enclosure is concerned, I've kept a basking area for them, I keep the water clean religiously and I take them out in sunlight as well. What can I do now? How is that spot supposed to heal? ??

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
It looks like minor damage to me, from a scrape on something perhaps. I don’t see anything that looks infected.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
It will heal, but turtles heal very slowly. It could take a year. Make sure you change their water regularly (don’t let it get dirty) and that they have a good basking area - they need to be able to get their shell completely dry when they are basking, as this will help to prevent any issues.