Help tortoise has shut eyes

kelly1

Hello , my Hermann is about 5 years old and I've noticed his eyes are going funny . One is half shut and one is completely closed . Been like this for 2 weeks now . Should I take him to vets ?? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1476293084.385447.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1476293094.834666.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1476293104.085612.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1476293114.486298.jpg

Maria Ohlson

Location (City and/or State)
Sweden
I would take him to the vet.
Sometimes they get eye problem from to strong uv-lights or its a inflammation or infection in the eyes that needs medicin.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
What kind of UVB bulb are you using? Please post a picture. The coiled bulbs are know to cause eye problems. Are you soaking your tortoise daily in warm shallow water? Also substrate with sand in it can cause eye irritation and also intestinal blockage.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Because you have already waited two weeks, I would get him to a vet. Then figure out what has caused it if they vet doesn't know.
Giving us more info on the enclosure, lights, heat, type of bulbs, diet, etc will help us to help you.

kelly1

He's been outside all summer in a pen with a little wooden house shelter . He just came in to go under lamp if it wasn't very warm or raining . Now though he's indoors as its cold . He has a house with just soil in it no sand . His light I'm not sure I've had it ages on it it says it's 100w 230-240V D3 UV BASKING LAMP ?? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1476295155.304850.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1476295197.936097.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1476295211.611207.jpg

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Please take your tort to a vet asap. Keep us updated, and hope to hear he's better, soon.

And a very warm welcome to the forum!

kelly1

Ok will get him to a vet does any recommend A good tortoise vet in Oxfordshire uk ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks to me like he has gotten too cold over the last few days or weeks.

Warm temps day and night, and some daily warm soaks will likely help.

kelly1

Yes he possibly has got cold , he's indoors now so hopefully he's going to pick up . I'll get him to vets as well . I weighed him tonight and he has lost weight too :(

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Yes he possibly has got cold , he's indoors now so hopefully he's going to pick up . I'll get him to vets as well . I weighed him tonight and he has lost weight too :(
Weight loss is not necessarily a problem. It's the proportion.

A tort can safely lose 10% of bodyweight during hibernation, but more is of concern.

Joe lost over one third of his healthy bodyweight when sick. That was a problem.

Smaller torts can have their weight vary hugely having done a pee or a poop. That's why it's vital not to weigh too frequently (eg daily) and when you do weigh make sure it's at roughly the same time of day each time.

As you're in the UK, I'll recommend adding Reptoboost to daily soaks. It was recommended by my vet when Joe was sick and I now use it post hibernation and in the fortnight before hibernation too.

Maria Ohlson

Sweden
What kind of UVB bulb are you using? Please post a picture. The coiled bulbs are know to cause eye problems. Are you soaking your tortoise daily in warm shallow water? Also substrate with sand in it can cause eye irritation and also intestinal blockage.

I have sand and soil as substrate like they have in the nature and never had any problems with the eyes.
Hope the vet can helt you and your tortoise :)

kelly1

So little Albert has to stay at the vets . He thinks he has got cold and is dehydrated . He needs some fluids . Hopefully his eyes will open with some intensive care . But they are really worried about the little man hopefully they will help him out