Help - want to do the right thing for my rescued wild turtle

Lisa Gary

Hi, I'm brand new here and have a situation where I need help.... I am bi-coastal - live primarily in Southern California, but we drive out twice a year to our 2nd home in North Carolina and spend spring and fall here. I am in a rural area in NC near the Smoky Mountains and Blue Ridge Parkway. Found a 2 to 2 1/2 inch box turtle on a stump on a house reno I am doing - all his habitat had been permanently cleared away with the house remodel. He's been with me for 5 days now - gave him a nice outdoor habitat at my house here in NC and he seems really happy. He loves earthworms and crickets and gobbles them down. Is quite active, doesn't seem to mind me. Likes being misted, burrows, wanders around and gets in/out of his little pond. He hasn't eaten any of the fruit and veggies, nor the grasshopper or caterpillar, but chows down on the worms and crickets with gusto. Am heading home to CA tomorrow. Do I return him to the wild or do I take him with me and keep him? I did extensive reading which says they have a high mortality rate (from getting eaten/killed) in the wild, and that if I return him it should be in the exact same place which I can't do because it doesn't exist anymore (construction). I can return him to a wooded area close (maybe a 100 yards or so) near a stream, but the reading says if they are not returned in the exact same place they can wander around looking for home and die. He's adorable and I'm kinda bonded, but I want to do the right thing by Amigo (I named him) and do what's best for him. What would be best? Would he adapt to Southern California? I'm very responsible and would give him an outstanding environment. Or do you all think I should return him to the wild, but a little different spot? Where would he lead the best life? Thanks everyone for your help. I have a picture if anyone needs it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It's more than likely illegal to take him from nature. If it's at all possible, put him as close to where you found him as is safe (for him). Because they're territorial, he's going to try to find his way back to where he belongs.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
...oh, and - Welcome to the Forum!

There are quite a few clubs and rescues in SoCal. You can try to adopt one to live with you on the west coast.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Lisa and welcome to the Forum to you and Amigo.
I too would recommend placing him in the nearest possible safe place to where he came from.
but thanks so much for helping him and doing the right thing.:)