Help! What is this?

Peliroja32

Location (City and/or State)
Biloxi, Mississippi
I need help to identify and how to care for a turtle. I managed to talk my autistic neighbor boy out of it, he said he found him and saved it from the ants, but i couldnt get where so i cant just go put it back in the area.

All i have are my leopards, so i have it in a tote for now with coco choir and gravel and some water

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Chances are it belongs to the nearest water source you have. It's a baby so doesn't really have a life long Home range yet. Better if you just put it back by the nearest natural water source. If there isn't any within your area then he may have been dropped near by.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
That's a box turtle

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Could be Three toed, or with your location near the coast, a Gulf Coast box turtle.

Peliroja32

Biloxi, Mississippi
Chances are it belongs to the nearest water source you have. It's a baby so doesn't really have a life long Home range yet. Better if you just put it back by the nearest natural water source. If there isn't any within your area then he may have been dropped near by.
The only water sources nearby are ones that depend on the rain. A swampy area (if it has rained recently or alot. It takes forever to dry up) but its dry now, and a big ditch. Same thing

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks like a baby three-toed box turtle. Hatched last year.
If you think it was hatched last year do you think it should still be put back by where the water source is even though she doesn't know if that's where it came from? I know it's not a water turtle but they still need a water source.
I would have thought hatched this year yet.

RumWeatherReptiles

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Box turtle 100%. Looks like a three toed to me. I’d say to put him back in the nearest wooded area. Somewhere with deep leaf litter if possible. At this age he will likely borrow down for safety and moisture, and bugs.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Could be Three toed, or with your location near the coast, a Gulf Coast box turtle.

I’d say your right PJay...got some flare to those marginal scutes....I’d lean towards Gulf Coast.

AJK Aquaria

Although not always a solid indication, it does have 4 toes on the rear feet.