Help With 2 Mystery Weeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lulu

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
Here are two from my backyard. I apologize that my phone doesn't take great pics. If you need better, I can get them tomorrow.

#1:

r9os43.jpg

1zbh0cg.jpg

#2:

6iv24k.jpg

3589v0g.jpg

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Looking at some pictures, it does. I don't know that I've seen them here before. It's been a few days so I'll see if it looks any different and I'll grab another picture if it does.

redbeef

5 Year Member
#1 is definitely some sort of Chenopodium (goosefoot)...but it's difficult for me to say which: i've seen them all my life and can recognize them by sight as a type but as I'm not a professional weed ecologist/botanist, I can't narrow yours down to species...maybe C murale, C berlandeiri, or possibly C glauca?
Here's a website for CA based Chenopodium ID: http://www.calflora.org/cgi-bin/specieslist.cgi?where-family=Chenopodiaceae

#2 was bothering me: i'd seen them all the time and knew it was some sort of asteraceae, but that's a big family and it was hard to narrow it down...but I think I did: Conyza bonariensis, horseweed or flaxleaved fleabane (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conyza_bonariensis) It's in the same family as daisies, goldenrod and asters...I don't know what this means for its edibility for tortoises, someone else would have to speak to that ;)

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm pretty sure the first is lambsquarters. The other I have all over my property. The tortoises don't eat it. I try to pull it up before it goes to seed.

Status
Not open for further replies.