Help With Building a new enclosure!

BenDoc

Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay, Florida
Hello!

I recently purchased a storage container with the intentions of making it in to a new enclosure for my Sulcata. I know some people have used the same type of container and was wondering if y'all could help me with trying to construct this? As far as her UV light, i have the 18 inch long lamp and was going to cut out a small portion of the top and zip tie the lamp to the top for her daytime light. As far as heating the enclosure goes, i dont think cutting a hole in the top on the other side and setting the heat lamp on top would be a good idea for humidity reasons. Could i buy another daytime light and put one on both sides of the top and have a couple of heat lamps on stands pointing down on one side? If anyone has made this type of enclosure please post pics so i can get more ideas! Also posting some pics or links of all the lighting, heating elements, ect. would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance! 20181215_141425.jpg 20181215_141434.jpg

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
That container is way too small for a baby tortoise, especially a sulcata. It's not long enough to allow for roaming, it's not deep enough to allow for burrowing, and the height is too short to allow for the lamps to be a safe distance above to prevent cooking the tortoise.

For my babies I use heavy-duty 54-gallon tubs, which they have been in for the past 3-4 months and I'm now in the process of building tortoise tables that are 4' x 2' to give each of them a space upgrade until summer.

Babies like to burrow and hide, so substrate needs to be a few inches deep to allow that. Lights also need to hang at least 12" above the tortoise's shell, and even higher than that with higher wattage bulbs.

I would recommend building a tortoise table that you can enclose to keep humidity up, or get a much larger and deeper tub with a lid (cut holes for the lights). Sulcata tortoises grow pretty fast, so plan ahead to provide more space when needed.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Here's some pics of my indoor enclosure just to give you an idea of what you need for a single sulcata. It measures 8x4x2.5. The idea is to have it completely covered to maintain heat and humidity. This enclosure gave me plenty of room to hang my lights and CHEs.

20181125_183045.jpg 20181125_183022.jpg 20181123_103614.jpg 20181119_190417.jpg

BenDoc

Palm Bay, Florida
Here's some pics of my indoor enclosure just to give you an idea of what you need for a single sulcata. It measures 8x4x2.5. The idea is to have it completely covered to maintain heat and humidity. This enclosure gave me plenty of room to hang my lights and CHEs.

View attachment 259688 View attachment 259689 View attachment 259690 View attachment 259691

wow! that things awesome! how much you gonna charge me to build that for me? LOL I bought the storage thing to use for the winter time, once she out grows that then might be able to build an outdoor enclosure. if not then ill have to upgrade into something bigger like that! Thanks for the pics of it!

BenDoc

Palm Bay, Florida
That container is way too small for a baby tortoise, especially a sulcata. It's not long enough to allow for roaming, it's not deep enough to allow for burrowing, and the height is too short to allow for the lamps to be a safe distance above to prevent cooking the tortoise.

For my babies I use heavy-duty 54-gallon tubs, which they have been in for the past 3-4 months and I'm now in the process of building tortoise tables that are 4' x 2' to give each of them a space upgrade until summer.

Babies like to burrow and hide, so substrate needs to be a few inches deep to allow that. Lights also need to hang at least 12" above the tortoise's shell, and even higher than that with higher wattage bulbs.

I would recommend building a tortoise table that you can enclose to keep humidity up, or get a much larger and deeper tub with a lid (cut holes for the lights). Sulcata tortoises grow pretty fast, so plan ahead to provide more space when needed.

Thanks for the reply! I will return that tub and go to home depot and buy a 54 gallon tub to put her in. i figured it would be too shallow for the lighting. after she out grows the big tub then i should be able to build a tortoise table or an outdoor enclosure for her. Thank you for the response!

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
wow! that things awesome! how much you gonna charge me to build that for me? LOL I bought the storage thing to use for the winter time, once she out grows that then might be able to build an outdoor enclosure. if not then ill have to upgrade into something bigger like that! Thanks for the pics of it!
That thing only cost me about $150 for the materials. Was very easy to put together. Only took a weekend. Would have taken less but wood for the tops had to set a while to allow the glue to dry.

You can do something similar with the container you bought. Build a topper for it covered with plexiglass (or facsimile thereof). That will give you the height you need to hang your light/heater, and will also maintain the temps and humidity.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Thanks for the reply! I will return that tub and go to home depot and buy a 54 gallon tub to put her in. i figured it would be too shallow for the lighting. after she out grows the big tub then i should be able to build a tortoise table or an outdoor enclosure for her. Thank you for the response!
The really nice thing about those 54 gallon plastic totes (with lids) is that, if you ever had to evacuate, you could take the whole thing with you. Pack up the lighting, wiring, and tortoise supplies, secure the lid, and you're good to go. With the tortoise traveling in a small separate container so there's no risk of bouncing around, of course.

TortoiseRacket

New York
Zoo Med makes a tortoise house. You can remove walls and connect 4 of them. It would be a bit pricey but worth it and easy to build. Paint it in waterproof paint and let it dry completely. Put cling wrap or other wrap over 3/4 of the top with enough of a gap that your UVB lamp can fit in without going over the wrap. Those are just my ideas
Hope that helped!
-Mickey