Help with ID for this plant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holycow

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Homestead ,FL
plant_id1.jpg
All my tortoises LOVE this type of plant. I usually do not worry about what they are eating, in the past they seem to avoid the toxic stuff. However this time so much of this plant has grown that they are eating it in large amounts, and that makes me nervous (since I do not know exactly what it is).
I am located in far south FL. The plant has very fine hairs on the leaves, but these are not visible int he photos because of the rain. I will post 2 or 3.
Any help would be appreciated.
thanks,
Jeff

Plant_id2.jpg
Close up of mystery plant.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sorry...no. Does it bloom?

Holycow

10 Year Member!
Homestead ,FL
I have not seen any blooms. To be fair, normally all the plants get eaten before they are large enough to bloom. In this case I had an area blocked off from the tortoises so these things came up like crazy in that time. I've spent a lot of time trying to identify them online, but no luck. Hopefully someone here will know. I might end up sending the pics to a plant website.
Anyone else?

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
I have no clue. But I would contact Master Gardeners in your area. No doubt they'll be able to help. They might even be able to identify it by pictures in a email, if not they just might come out to your house and identify it for you. Here's a link to their info in Southern Florida: http://flmastergardener.wordpress.com/about/

I love our local Master Gardeners, they are happy to help and just really good people too!

tortzizi

5 Year Member
If it had small white flowers it may possibly be 'Enchanters Nightshade'

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Take a look at some pictures of vinca and see if it looks like your plant.

Holycow

10 Year Member!
Homestead ,FL
Leaf shape does not match any photos of enchanters nightshade I could see, also I do not live in a state where this plant is known to grow. Thanks anyway!

I think vinca is a much smaller plant, I checked on this, and that's definitely not whats growing here. Thanks anyway!

Holycow

10 Year Member!
Homestead ,FL
Thanks for the private messages. Just to keep the forum updated, I have had someone ask me if this plant could be sunflower. I have tossed birdseed back there many times so I would not rule it out, however, none of the plants have the trademark giant sunflower bloom (or any other blooms so far). Any other ideas would be great!
thanks.
--Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.