help with new turtle please

shannonruiz13

I just got a box turtle and my husband fed him/her magic bait glow worms for fishing. Now she has been pooping neon green! He/she is acting normal otherwise, still eating REGULAR worms,snailsetc. but keeps coloring her water bowl. Any ideas on what i can do or if this has hurt her at all ? thanks so much for any help.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would not let him do that again. Hard to say if they are harmful or not. Keep hydrated and hopefully it will eventually all pass through.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Yeh I would avoid doing that in the future. No use in trying things like that. Hopefully it's no big deal

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
These worms are fed a non-toxic (to the worms) dye that causes them to glow. There is nothing that says they are toxic to turtles, BUT, there is also nothing that says they are not. I would agree with the others here and say better safe than sorry. Your turtle should return to normal poops once the dye has fled his system. Good luck.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Shannon, and welcome to the forum!

Just be sure you soak your turtle daily until all the color has gone. Box turtles love water anyway, so daily soaks shouldn't be a hardship on either of you.