Help with Russian tort

Diana17

I just got an adult Russian Tortoise on Sat. She has not consumed anything since she got to my house. I have had tortoises for about 16 years and prior to that worked in mammal rehab and took care of all the turtles that came to us. My new tort is doing something I have never seen and I do not know what to do to help her. As of last night she is periodically stretching her neck out as far as she can and then opening her mouth wide and appears to be gasping. Then she pulls her head back in and closes her eyes. Occasionally a small amount of foam will appear at her mouth when she pulls her head back in. She keeps closing her eyes and wiping them with her feet. I have tried to look in her mouth and cannot see anything in there and I have felt her neck and throat and do not feel anything there either. I have no idea what to do and my vet is not open today. If anyone can help or has seen this before please let me know. She was in a Vision cage, with shaving bedding and hiding areas. Both the heat and uvb lights are on. She seemed fine when she got here and up until last night. Despite offering her Romaine and fresh organic tomatoes from my garden which she did not eat at all, the only other thing has been a daily soak in about 1/2 inch of water. I removed her from the cage and she is now in a tub with a small amount of water and a heat lamp. I took a video of what is going on but I am having trouble with the camera.

Wanda

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South east UK
I think foaming at the mouth can mean that something toxic has been eaten or a sign of respiratory disease. Both need a vets help But I was wondering perhaps if she has been on shavings if she could have a tiny splinter stuck in her throat or in her nares.
I think I would keep her hydrated through baths and contact a vet urgently. I am sure someone more knowledgeable than me may be along shortly.

Diana17

Thanks Wanda
I am trying to find another vet in the area that might be able to help.

Diana17

I am thinking that I may have found a problem. I brought in a plant that was out in my greenhouse and put it on top of the turtle enclosure. It apparently had ants on it which then must have gotten into the tortoise enclosure and onto the food. Last night I just dumped the food tray because it was really late and the food was uneaten but this morning I noticed some ants on the tray. Is it possible she tried to eat some of the food yesterday and got bitten or ate some ants and has formic acid in her mouth? if so anyone know an antidote? Going online to look at possibilities now.

Diana17

No guess not. There are articles about tortoises eating ants, even one on this forum. She is still in distress and I am at a loss.

Wanda

10 Year Member!
South east UK
I sorry I have no experience or knowledge about ants at all. I hope you find a vet close y that can help you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Stretching out the neck and 'gasping' are usually indications of a respiratory infection.

If you think if was ants, soaking is a good antidote. Place the tortoise is warm water that comes up to the middle of the sides of the shell, and leave him in there for about a half hour. Watch to be sure he doesn't fall over on his back in the water.

But I really think its a respiratory infection. He'll need antibiotics.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

Diana17

Thanks YvonneI have been soaking her on and off since last night, but there is no improvement. I think I am going to move her to a warmer enclosure and see if that helps at all. She seems worse to me.

Diana17

Thanks everyone for the advice but the tortoise died within that day. My vet was closed and I could not find another vet to treat her that day but I am guessing that they would not have been able to do anything. She may have only been with me for 4 days but I was already attached and feel miserable about the entire situation.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Thanks everyone for the advice but the tortoise died within that day. My vet was closed and I could not find another vet to treat her that day but I am guessing that they would not have been able to do anything. She may have only been with me for 4 days but I was already attached and feel miserable about the entire situation.

I'm so sorry to hear that, Diana. The poor thing had probably been sick for long before you got her.

May, Aussies, & THBs
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES