Help with Sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

crocididdle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan!
his day temps are 95-100F, his night temps are 70-75F. he eats spring mix once a day mixed with grassland tortoise food. his humid hide is 90% humidity. has a calcium block and open water at all times... he seems like something is wrong in there. any help on what could be wrong? i have a mix of coco fiber and cypress mulch blend for substrate. any help will be perfect. i have a 3 month old sulcata tortoise. i soak him twice a day for 20 - 30 minutes.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Seems to me that your night time temps need to be in the 80's that could be part of the problem. 70's are too cool...

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
You certainly need to boost your temps up to the 80 mark. Nighttime should not fall below this.

crocididdle

5 Year Member
Michigan!
mainey34 said:
Seems to me that your night time temps need to be in the 80's that could be part of the problem. 70's are too cool...

hmmmm... well also, his eyes are closed for longer periods of time and he's slow to open them. what can i do to fix this?

so if tortoises live in the desert, where is gets welll below 60F, why does it need to be soooo warm for them?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
American/temperate deserts cool at night. The savannas of the African grasslands don't.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
So go to the stickies at the top of the sulcata pages and read up on Toms posts. Although he's not the final authority, he has excellent insight as well as 20 years of practical experience. His goal is for everyone to have healthy, happy tortoises.

crocididdle

5 Year Member
Michigan!
Cowboy_Ken said:
So go to the stickies at the top of the sulcata pages and read up on Toms posts. Although he's not the final authority, he has excellent insight as well as 20 years of practical experience. His goal is for everyone to have healthy, happy tortoises.

mytortET

5 Year Member
Great advice! I'm nursing my sick sully. He's 27 months old and lives in a burrow outside. The weather (rainy and cold) caused him to get a RI. :( I have him in his indoor enclosure to keep him warm until he gets better and the weather improves.

Good luck with your tort. :shy:

Status
Not open for further replies.