Help! Worried about my pancake!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
I also did an article on it mainly in the giant tortoises way back when. I didn't get any responses. But I have spoken to my vet friends and colleges about it. It seems to definitely be a misdiagnosed issue, always most times primarily linked to food. Which is not really most cases upon gross necropsy and biopsy of other adrenal organs. However I do agree. Feeding a staple of let's say kale should be avoided. Variety is best indeed.

Here's the thread I did a while back.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...id-gland-in-giant-species-of-tortoises.75214/

taza

5 Year Member
Cambridge, Ontario.Canada
I buy broken slate tiles at home depot for 50 cents each. They always have a few in the flooring dept broken as they are fragile.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
I buy broken slate tiles at home depot for 50 cents each. They always have a few in the flooring dept broken as they are fragile.
I checked them out, and the tiles are way to smooth on both sides. My one Pancakes nails grow really long very fast, so I really want to get raw slate to help trim her claws down.

Chef

5 Year Member
Hello all,
It's been a couple of weeks since I posted about this and problem is still occurring, almost worse now. I turned off the Metal Halide light thinking that could be the issue.
Today I gave a waterbath/bird vitamin soak and the eyes softened up and opened again but already I can see he is having trouble opening them. It looks like there is a layer of skin flaking off, and the skin looks very dry. There are also these masses on either side of the mouth.
I redid the tank though hoping it will help him heal. I put a layer of coco coir/sand/sphagnum peat moss down, and put the humid hide box back in place.
I think it could either be the Metal Halide lighting or some kind of disease. I haven't seen much info about the mercury vapor lighting online in regards to effects on tortoises as it is a fairly new product, so I'm kind of leaning there. It's just so frustrating having a sick pet.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
Hello all,
It's been a couple of weeks since I posted about this and problem is still occurring, almost worse now. I turned off the Metal Halide light thinking that could be the issue.
Today I gave a waterbath/bird vitamin soak and the eyes softened up and opened again but already I can see he is having trouble opening them. It looks like there is a layer of skin flaking off, and the skin looks very dry. There are also these masses on either side of the mouth.
I redid the tank though hoping it will help him heal. I put a layer of coco coir/sand/sphagnum peat moss down, and put the humid hide box back in place.
I think it could either be the Metal Halide lighting or some kind of disease. I haven't seen much info about the mercury vapor lighting online in regards to effects on tortoises as it is a fairly new product, so I'm kind of leaning there. It's just so frustrating having a sick pet.
Do you not have a vet in your area, it might be time for a vet trip with this issue continuing and the masses now developing around his mouth. Updated pictures of him will also help.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
With my cakes, I've a shallow hide for them. This hide is all of 2" tall with my top soil/peat moss substrate as a filler. They burrow into this and snuggle in. The way I figure things, every rock I've ever flipped over has moisture/condensation on the underside. This is the microclimate I recon they'd be in and so I try to mimic that. Not only do I have a fogger that kicks on for 45 mins daily at 4:00am, (morning dew) also probably 3-4 days a week I spray down the enclosure and direct spray under their hide area trying to help mimic that condensation zone.
I've said it before and I say it now, this is what I do and it works for me. I'm not saying it's right, left, liberal or conservative.