HELPPPPPP BABY SULCATA IS SICK

Status
Not open for further replies.

dummy_lifted

5 Year Member
I NEEED ASSISTANCE PLEASE! my baby sulcata is looking lethargic and doesnt move like he usually does. doesnt want to eat, he seems to be coughing and alot with alot of saliva coming out of his mouth. the enclosures temp is 85- 90 on one side of the tank, and i am using a coil uvb from above. i feed em dandelions. idk what it is but i can tell he is very ill }: i have another slcata but he is fine. please help!. i dnt have much moeny to go to the vet but i am willing to do what it takes and get what it takes for his well being. what can i do to get him to eat even when he doesnt want to eat :( thanks for ya help

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Get rid of that light for starters try giving him a warm soak

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Danny:

Like coreyc says, the coil bulbs are not good to use with baby tortoises. So that would be the first thing to do.

The next thing is to soak your baby in warm water every day for at least 15 minutes.

Foaming at the mouth sometimes means too hot (heat stroke) and sometimes means he ate something poison. Where do you get your dandelions?

As to the food, do you offer anything besides dandelions? Here's a link to a whole list of different food choices for sulcatas:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...ed-Greeks-Russians-Sulcatas-etc#axzz21N1kTtX2

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Getting rid of the coil bulb is a good idea, but I don't think the lighting would influence the symptoms you described. Soak him as Yvonne suggested and try to maintain him in a warm (not hot) setting. If he doesn't improve, take him to a vet.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can you post pics of the enclosure? We might see something helpful in a pic. Where are you? Does he go outside for sunshine and grazing? What are your four temps? Warm side you said 85-90, but what about the cool side, basking temp and night temp?

Biff Malibu

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
Sounds like it could be a respiratory infection or possibly ate something bad. How long has this been going on for?

Unfortunately, I think you're going to need to take it to a vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.