Herbie's tail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helen Tullett

5 Year Member
Hi all

Haven't posted anything for a while as Herbie is doing well and have been enjoying reading everyone's updates.

One thing I have noticed is that Herbie's tail has shed off the end - is this normal? I last saw my reptile vet in October and it was intact then. He did say herbie might be a girl and we'd have to watch to see how he/she develops. Herbie's tail is quite long and he curls it underneath him most of the time when he's walking around. His underneath though is very flat - does this make him a girl? Am confused! Anway, if anyone knows anything about the ends of tails I'd be grateful. i've been watching him carefully recently when he's out and about and haven't noticed him catching on anything. His other behaviours are normal and he's eating well. I've attached a picture of him having his soak, I haven't got one of his tail but can send that on later

Big thanks
Helen & Herbie (5 yrs) :tort:

Attachments

• Herbie bath.jpg
    Herbie bath.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 55

jkingler

5 Year Member
I can't say I know how to gender Herbie, but I can say that Herbie is adorable! :)

If you can post a few photos (overheads of carapace and plastron, particularly the anal scutes) someone should be able to help with gendering. Also, how old is Herbie? 5 years old? If so, I am surprised that your vet can't tell yet, but stranger things have happened.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Based on your description of your tortoise's tail being long and kept tucked in to one side it sounds very much like your tortoise is definitely a male. Male Eastern Hermann's often do not have extremely indented plastrons as do some other Testudo species. So that characteristic is not always an accurate indicator of gender by itself.

How big (straight line carapace length) and how old is your tortoise? Posting a view of his lower plastron showing the tail clearly would definitely help indentify gender.

Helen Tullett

5 Year Member
Thankyou all!

Herbie's plastron is 6 inches long, I've had him for 3 years and my vet thinks he's 5 years old. I'm having a few problems uploading pictures from my camera at the moment as my harddrive is broken but here's a picture of Herbie the day I got him. Also one now. I'm sure he's a male, he weighs 650g and is just over 6 inches long.

Thankyou for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.