Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Last week my second largest Mep, Phae, started working on her nest. She only came out into the yard twice to scrape up debris, most of the time was spent inside the little "house" rearranging the substrate that was already in there. This a.m. I noticed that she was excavating with her back feet, so I went and got a piece of plywood to use as a blind, my stool and a bowl.

She would pop out an egg, then sort of moan. I then reached around the blind and pulled out the egg. Usually tortoises go into la-la land when they're digging nests and laying eggs, but Phae was very alert to what was going on around her (hence the blind).

When I reached in for egg #27, I was quite worried because it came with a big blob of yolk. Then a bit later, #33 popped out and sure enough, it was crushed. She finally stopped at 34 and started pushing the dirt back over the "eggs" with her back feet.

I hope that broken egg doesn't cause a problem. It looks like the complete shell is all there, just crushed. Do you think I should call the vet to come and clean her out?

6-19-21phaeseggs.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Is this the first time she has laid a crushed egg? Is it common in the bigger species? Here is hoping you have better luck with this batch then the last.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Hmmm, maybe take some sterile saline solution and a syringe and flush out the cloaca, similar to administering mineral oil.

Good luck on hatching those!!!

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Congrats,Yvonne! I know you have to be excited. If the shell is complete and the egg after it came out OK,I think she should be fine.

jwhite

5 Year Member
west milwaukee,wi
My biggest female russian laid a broken egg this year. Took her a couple of days to pass the whole shell. I took her to the vet and had her xrayed to make sure there wasn't anythin still in there. Luckily she had passed it all. Hope the it's the same for yours.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
congrats on the eggs.... sorry for the broken one and the fact I have nothing I can tell you of any help.

Keep us posted..

teri

Status
Not open for further replies.