Hermann owner and live in Kent UK

Luca2020

Location (City and/or State)
Gravesend
I have two Hermanns - one was a gift and is now 3 years 5 months old. The second Hermann is 2 years 9 months old and was bought by me because the first Hermann was lost in my garden for 52 days and I thought it would never reappear - but it did. The first photograph is of them both together, the tortoise on the left is the oldest Hermann (smallest) and the one of the right is the youngest (largest).

I took both tortoises to a vet (Tortoise expert) who informed me that I had two females. I felt somewhat reassured because I am aware of two males not being good together. However recent behaviour by the second Hermann makes me think the vet has got it wrong. So if I post a photo of both could someone please give me an opinion.

This week the youngest but biggest Hermann was constantly humping the smaller one and caused injury to the smaller ones legs - I do not think it is bite marks but more to do with the pressure and weight of the bigger one.

Also what I cannot understand is the size of the second Hermann which is larger that the first (older Hermann). I have been conscious to ensure that both eat the same amount so cannot explain why it is bigger than the older one.

Any help would be appreciated - thank you.

Attachments

• Tortoises.jpg
    Tortoises.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Oldest Tortoise Ren.jpg
    Oldest Tortoise Ren.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Youngest Tortoise - Renna.jpg
    Youngest Tortoise - Renna.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 6

Avuwyy

Liverpool, Merseyside
Tortoises should never be kept in pairs, which is why this is happening. If one tortoise is growing faster than the other, it’s because they are competing for food and one is eating more than the other. The larger one is the bully between the two. Tortoises will hump each other no matter the sex, it’s a way of expressing dominance over an intruder. You will need to keep these two separate.

Also just a small edit. These two look like males to me. But even if they were females they shouldn’t be kept in pairs.

Luca2020

Gravesend
Tortoises should never be kept in pairs, which is why this is happening. If one tortoise is growing faster than the other, it’s because they are competing for food and one is eating more than the other. The larger one is the bully between the two. Tortoises will hump each other no matter the sex, it’s a way of expressing dominance over an intruder. You will need to keep these two separate.

Also just a small edit. These two look like males to me. But even if they were females they shouldn’t be kept in pairs.

Thank you very much for your reply and good advice. I shall look to either keep them separate or rehome the larger one and seek further guidance from the forum.

Avuwyy

Liverpool, Merseyside
Of course! I just now realised I was very blunt with my response. Apologies for that. Also I was a little dozy and didn’t see that you were new to the forum so-

Welcome to the forum :)!!

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome from Devon. I have a Hermanns tortoise too, who is now coming up to his 22nd birthday - we have had him since he was a baby - but there weren't places like this forum where we could get good advice from real experts. Luckily, Zola has been pretty healthy, but there were times when it would have been so reassuring to have had someone to talk to and get help from.
What are your tortoises names ?
Best wishes from Angie