Hermann Tortoise: Healthy Breeding Size?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGB

5 Year Member
Hi, I have some Eastern Hermann Tortoises of varying sizes. The largest female is relatively short SCL at 6" but is high domed and weighs approx. 1000g. She is 7 and currently beginning to reproduce successfully. I have two smaller females of 450-550g (5-5.5"). I do not know their age completely, but i believe they are around 5-6 yrs old. I'm wondering if they should be kept seperate from the male? When would they be considered a 'safe' size to consider breeding?
Thanks for any experience you can share!!
Bob

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
Hi Bob,
Sorry but I don't know much about Hermans but my experience with Redfoots may help you and give your post a bump.

I allowed a young female access to two males and she ended up a very uncomfortable gal for a long time. She tried nesting in all types of soil, leaves, bark, name it she tried it, but found no suitable place. She must have dug 30 nests over the summer. She finally laid 7 eggs this fall and she's much happier after getting them out of her. I've seperated her from the males. I think she was too young and inexperienced for this experience. I plan to give her a couple more years to mature before allowing her access to males again.

Remember torts get more fertile as they get older so you are not losing a race against time. Too young can come with complications.

Hope this helps.

RGB

5 Year Member
Tks Terese,
I also have young Greeks (morrocan and ibera).... And I note you have Ibera Greeks....
I'd also like to know when Greeks become old/large enough to breed. I currently have a 2.5 yr old male in with a large (1000g, 6.5") female, but she is only 4. He shows early desires to mate but she hasn't allowed him yet. I'm wondering the same thing.... Is there a safe age to allow breeding ( and what size are the successful breeders)?
Cheers,
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.