Hermann Tortoise passed away :(

Beanie23

Location (City and/or State)
Singapore
Hi everyone, this is my first time being on this forum but sadly in a depressing way.

I found my Hermann tortoise not moving at all with his head tucked in and eyes sunk 3 days ago. Before that he was energetic and happy like he always was for the past 3 years, but now that I think of it he slowly became less active to the point where I found him. I turned on his light all day after that in hopes of him waking up, but he didn't. I also placed him in a warm waterbath to see if he would move, nothing worked.

After the 3rd day of him not moving, I decided to bury him under the tree in my garden, and even carved his name on the tree to commemorate him. But now I feel a massive sense of guilt and regret in not paying more attention, especially since his species is threatened and was supposed to live for around 50 years :(

I still feel this overwhelming guilt and regret in not taking better care of him, and I'm still extremely sad about the whole thing :( RIP Bean 2015-2018

Last edited:

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
Hi everyone, this is my first time being on this forum but sadly in a depressing way.

I found my Hermann tortoise not moving at all with his head tucked in and eyes sunk 3 days ago. Before that he was energetic and happy like he always was for the past 3 years, but now that I think of it he slowly became less active to the point where I found him. I turned on his light all day after that in hopes of him waking up, but he didn't. I also placed him in a warm waterbath to see if he would move, nothing worked.

After the 3rd day of him not moving, I decided to bury him under the tree in my garden, and even carved his name on the tree to commemorate him. But now I feel a massive sense of guilt and regret in not paying more attention, especially since his species is threatened and was supposed to live for around 50 years :(

I still feel this overwhelming guilt and regret in not taking better care of him, and I'm still extremely sad about the whole thing :( RIP Bean 2015-2018

I'm sorry for your loss. Always a sad situation to read about.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Very sorry for your loss. It's not always easy to spot a health issue with tortoises. Their instincts tells them to hid it.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I'm so sorry to hear about Bean. Don't beat yourself up with the guilt. As Wellington said, they hide their illness until they are just too sick to go on.
Be sad, grieve, then when you're ready, consider getting another. I don't know about Malaysia, but here in the US, there are so many that need a loving home.

N

no one

So sorry for your loss... It is nice though that he lays under your tree now. With his name carved in the tree. Take care!