Hermann Weight & Humidity

Sfc200376

Hi All, I need some expert advice as I am new to the tortoise world and want to give Charlie the best VIP care I can.

Charlie is 2 years old and tomorrow I am off to get some scales to start weighing him and recording the info weekly. What weight should he be? Is there a table or chart anywhere which shows what we should be aiming for?

The other question is humidity and how do I get this right? He has a tortoise table and at the moment has sawdust but looking on here think I should move to top soil? How do I get humidity right? Is it as easy as spraying water in the room or table daily?

I love this forum it is so useful and everyone is so helpful and friendly. Many thanks Kelly & Charlie :)

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Use soil as sawdust draws moisture from the shell and is also quite flammable. Don't worry too much about humidity with hermanni, moisture in the shell is more important so just provide somewhere for him to drink and bathe in when he wants. Humidity should ideally be 50-60%, but as long as it's not extremely dry or extremely humid it's fine. Just provide deep soil to dig in as humidity will be higher down in the burrows. Spray the topsoil now and again. Ideally you want a dry top, and then damp soil underneath.

Sfc200376

Thank you for the great advice I really appreciate your help :)

Off to the shop tomorrow then to get top soil and out with the sawdust! Is it best to use soil in his house also for sleeping? He has a little house he burrows down in sawdust at night? I put a heat mat underneath and only put it on at night as worried he gets too cold overnight?

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Yes, soil is definitely best for the entire enclosure. If using a heat mat, attach it to the SIDE of the enclosure as underneath it can cause burns. But, unless your house gets below about 55 at night, you don't need it.

Sfc200376

The room gets to about 59 so I guess no heat mat required at night :)

Will definitely invest in soil tomorrow and maybe start removing the heat mat. Just don't want him to get cold....bless.

I think I am a fussy first time Mum but want to get it right, thank you.

Kele7710

5 Year Member
My Stanley hatched in 2011 weighed him today he's 80g :)

Kele7710

5 Year Member
There is a chart you can google called Jackson ratio chart, Stanley is slight under weight but he's been having vet treatment twice weekly coz my dog nicked him from his tortoise table 3 days after I got him, but vets are happy with his progress he's lucky to be alive bless him

Sfc200376

Thank you I will google that now. Hope Stanley gets better soon and sorry to hear what happened with the dog.

I am sure he is getting spoilt by you whilst recovering and loving it :)

Kele7710

5 Year Member
Sfc200376 said:
Thank you I will google that now. Hope Stanley gets better soon and sorry to hear what happened with the dog.

I am sure he is getting spoilt by you whilst recovering and loving it :)

Thank you he is getting very spoilt lol :)

Hope you find the chart & hope charlie tucks his head in so you measure his length properly, Stanley didn't like that lol

Sfc200376

Just seen the chart and it's brilliant! Just what I needed, thank you and hopefully Charlie will behave.

Joanne

10 Year Member!
Lancashire, UK
My Hermann is about 3 years old and last time I weighed him he was around 180g (I can't find my notebook!).

If you want any ideas for an enclosure we recently built a new table for ours. Here is the link: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-84730.html

I use coconut coir, which I buy off the internet, orchid bark from the garden centre and I have pebbles in there too, but since been advised to not use them.

I started off with soil at the very beginning but decided I didn't like it because I got very dirty doing daily things like changing water dishes. Coir just feels cleaner!

Sfc200376

Your table is amazing! Great job and looks like luxury :)

Can I ask why pebbles shouldn't be used? I did put a few in my tortoise table today so maybe need to remove?

I was not liking the idea of the soil so will maybe look at your suggestions too :) thank you

Joanne

10 Year Member!
Lancashire, UK
He started trying to eat them... they were big enough though so he couldn't swallow them. Think it is just personal preference though. I think flat stones like slates are good too to put food on. I robbed my slate from my friends back garden and got another flat stone from a local reservoir!

As long as you thoroughly clean it before it goes in, you can pick things up for free anywhere you go!

Sfc200376

The pebbles I got at the beach are large round smooth ones so think they will be ok.....phew :)

I keep my eyes open wherever I go now for home items for Charlie, I love it!!!

Sfc200376

I got my scales and tape measure out and used the jackson ratio calculator and the results are below, I am worried now Charlie is underweight? ImageUploadedByTortForum1388933736.663211.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Joanne

10 Year Member!
Lancashire, UK
My personal opinion is that if your tortoise is active, eating well and has a hard shell, you shouldn't worry too much about charts.