Hermanns keeps sleeping, please help!!!

Location (City and/or State)
leeds
Hi there. I have a 1 year old hermanns tortoise that I've had for about 3-4 months. When I first got home he would sleep a lot but was told it was because he was settling in and would become more active (which he did). For the past few weeks he's been sleeping a lot and I would have to take him out of his little hide just to wake him up. Once he is awake he would sit under his basking lamp for about 10-20 minutes, eat then go back to bed. He stays in a tortoise table with a uv strip light and a basking light, he also has a heat mat strapped to the roof flap of his hide to keep him warm as I live in a old and very cold house. I have taken temperature readings and under the basking light is normally between 32-35°C and the cool end is normally between 20-23°C (winter temperatures). I supplement his food according to the tortoise care sheet that I received with purchase so I know that can't be it. Can somone please help me!!!!!!

leeds
Hi there. I have a 1 year old hermanns tortoise that I've had for about 3-4 months. When I first got home he would sleep a lot but was told it was because he was settling in and would become more active (which he did). For the past few weeks he's been sleeping a lot and I would have to take him out of his little hide just to wake him up. Once he is awake he would sit under his basking lamp for about 10-20 minutes, eat then go back to bed. He stays in a tortoise table with a uv strip light and a basking light, he also has a heat mat strapped to the roof flap of his hide to keep him warm as I live in a old and very cold house. I have taken temperature readings and under the basking light is normally between 32-35°C and the cool end is normally between 20-23°C (winter temperatures). I supplement his food according to the tortoise care sheet that I received with purchase so I know that can't be it. Can somone please help me!!!!!!
Here are pictures of my tortoise table set upreceived_1887541561559415.jpegreceived_1887541558226082.jpegreceived_1887541551559416.jpeg

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
I am sure someone will be along to help you, but, I did notice those white dots in your substrate. If that is perlite, it can harm your tortoise. They can think it is food or it can get stuck to food and cause an impatient or kill the tort. Just thought I would let you know.

leeds
I am sure someone will be along to help you, but, I did notice those white dots in your substrate. If that is perlite, it can harm your tortoise. They can think it is food or it can get stuck to food and cause an impatient or kill the tort. Just thought I would let you know.
Really!? I was sold it from the place I got him from when I got him. It is habistat tortoise substrate. What substrate do you recommend?

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Really!? I was sold it from the place I got him from when I got him. It is habistat tortoise substrate. What substrate do you recommend?
A lot of the pet store and others have very outdated info. Go to the Herman’s section here and read the care sheets. I use coco coir, or peat moss with no addatives. Not sure on that substrate. Someone else will come along and help too. I have Russians.

leeds
A lot of the pet store and others have very outdated info. Go to the leopard section here and read the care sheets. I use coco coir, or peat moss with no addatives. Not sure on that substrate. Someone else will come along and help too. I have Russians.
Thanks for the advice!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He might not be warm enough. Any way you can get some heat into that shelter portion of the enclosure? Maybe place a Ceramic Heat Emitter right over the doorway??

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I notice that the pet store also sold you the "standard" food and water dishes which are plastic or resin with high sides. Many of us got sold those dishes but were not happy with them. The steep sides make it difficult for the tortoise to get in and out. A very small tortoise could even flip or get stuck, but at 1 year old yours is probably safe. Many of us have been very happy using the terra-cotta plant saucers! They're inexpensive, come in many sizes and have sloping sides that the tortoise can get in and out of easily. The hardness of the terra-cotta helps to keep their beak in trim when they bite the food and pick it up. This is how it would be in nature. I always us a terra-cotta saucer that is significantly bigger than my tortoise so she can get in and out easily. Also, since they often poop when they eat, pooping in the saucer makes it easy for me to keep track of whether her urates are soft or hard, so I can know if I'm keeping her hydrated enough.
My tortoise also LOVES to hide under things- it comes naturally to them and makes them feel safe. I have stuck plastic plants in her enclosure and also piles of dry oak leaves.

fullsizeoutput_78.jpeg

Bee62

Germany
That's what I have done, it gets up to 23°C max on a cold winter's dayView attachment 223902
23 C is not warm enough to keep a tortoise active. Your enclosure is not covered and that is the problem. Your tortoise needs a basking spot with temps of 39 C. The whole enclosure should be at 27 C daytime. Night temps should not drop deeper than 22 - 24 C.
Only when you can provide these temps your tort can be active and digest her food well. Otherwise she tries to hibernate but the temps are too high for hibernation. You must fix this problem because your tort has a problem with this temps and the situation can harm her.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Although I will add that even when I have my tortoise's temperatures up pretty warm, once she's eaten her breakfast all she wants to do is nap. I think she might be bored...:p

leeds
23 C is not warm enough to keep a tortoise active. Your enclosure is not covered and that is the problem. Your tortoise needs a basking spot with temps of 39 C. The whole enclosure should be at 27 C daytime. Night temps should not drop deeper than 22 - 24 C.
Only when you can provide these temps your tort can be active and digest her food well. Otherwise she tries to hibernate but the temps are too high for hibernation. You must fix this problem because your tort has a problem with this temps and the situation can harm her.
What do you mean not covered? I opened the lid to take a picture if that's what you are on about. How do I make it warmer for him? Please advise I live in a very cold house so it is hard to keep him warm, do you have Any other suggestions?

Bee62

Germany
What do you mean not covered? I opened the lid to take a picture if that's what you are on about. How do I make it warmer for him? Please advise I live in a very cold house so it is hard to keep him warm, do you have Any other suggestions?
When you live in a very cold house you have to make the enclosure of your tort as warm as she need it, or she will get sick. You can use a ceramic heat emitter with more watt in assistance to a basking bulb. She also needs a UVB producing bulb, or do you have such a bulb ? How is the enclosure covered ? Can you please upload a picture ? When it is covered with a mesh the heat can`t stay in the enclosure.

leeds
When you live in a very cold house you have to make the enclosure of your tort as warm as she need it, or she will get sick. You can use a ceramic heat emitter with more watt in assistance to a basking bulb. She also needs a UVB producing bulb, or do you have such a bulb ? How is the enclosure covered ? Can you please upload a picture ? When it is covered with a mesh the heat can`t stay in the enclosure.

20171130_153509.jpg20171130_153509.jpg