Hermanns Tortoise Enclosure

AliJ

Location (City and/or State)
Tomball, TX
Hey everyone! I am new to the tortoise ownership life. I have a little hermanns tortoise, eastern I think, about a year old. We’012B58DA-612C-45D8-838A-5B31BDD24DB0.jpeg 34159517-722E-4B8E-AD10-DD72A9AC9535.jpeg 6F3733DC-8419-4140-A8F0-818E541A0778.jpeg 49E98A5F-4B23-4029-A3F7-39AE5A77540D.jpeg 87FB7A63-CAB6-40CB-B785-3E5F6B2665F4.jpeg ve had her a week and we love her! I have a few questions about her enclosure and fire ants.
1. We live in Houston, TX and have her outside. I’ve included a picture of the enclosure we’ve build. It’s 32”w x 112”l approx. I want to add some plants to it and we are building a top now. The plants I bought so far are a Mexican Heather and hibiscus. I bought them from Lowe’s and have heard I should let them grow separate from her for a while before they are safe to put in with her?? Any suggestions on what else we can add to make it fun/safe/functional?

2. I have a fire ant problem. I have put cinnamon and food grade diatomaceous earth all around the enclosure but the little pests are stubborn. What can I do to get them out of her house and protect her and her food?

Thank you!! I’m so excited about her and learning everything I can!

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
I bought a bunch of herbs, repotted them with organic top soil. They helped provide shade. Since they are for human consumption, they weren’t treated with poison. I know cilantro is one I have. You will want to check tortoise table to see which ones are good. Many herbs have a strong smell and tortoises tend to not want them but they can provide good shade that won’t be eaten. I’ve heard rosemary is good for that. My Russian is so stubborn and won’t eat any of the things I’ve planted. He just climbs over them and through the middle of them. You can also start from seeds. I think it is tortoise supply that sells great seed mixes. I have broadleaf weeds growing from seeds. Russian just walks all over them. Give her things to climb over. Add a round dirt hill in the middle. Bury some potted herbs with part of the pot sticking up.

You can also check Etsy. I’ve found organic plants on there. Check the reviews to make sure they are a good company.

I believe waiting a year is the suggested amount of time for plants that were treated with poisons.

Hope this helps or someone corrects me if I’m wrong. I don’t have your type of tortoise.

AliJ

Tomball, TX
Thank you! I know we have a vendor at our local farmers market I could get some plants from so I will try that! I appreciate your help!!