Hi all, thank you for being here!

jbauma00

Location (City and/or State)
Northbrook, IL
I have always had a tortoise, I'd like to say most of them have all been rescues from homes where I found they shouldn't have been. I have had a Galapagus, Aldabra, several Sulcatas. I had those while I was living in Texas and had the land to take them in and get them healthy. I now live north of Chicago. I miss that lifestyle and my shelled friends and wanting to get back into them again... or at least have just 1 or 2!

I am looking for a couple Spider Tortoises, but they seem hard to find! If you (or anyone you know can refer me, that would be great!) So since they are pretty expensive and extremely hard to find I am open to other species as well, as long as they are on the smaller side, as the ones I had before I would not have been able to keep long term due to lack of space that they require.So if not Spiders, anyone have any other recommendations? I definitely want something on the smaller side, that also provides the beautiful markings that many of the species have. Throw some ideas and pictures my way!

Anyway, looking forward to all of the feedback and learning as much as I can.

jbauma00

Northbrook, IL
Go to meetings of the Chicago Herp society, and the local herp shows at Tinley park. A few successful breeders live in the greater Chicago area. You will meet them at these venues. Ask around, the right names will pop up quickly.

Good to know, thanks for the info

Big Ron

Tortoise Club
Florida
Welcome to the forum,glad you joined,i'm from central Florida,i have a Hermanns his name is Hermie my elderly mother always wanted a tort so for her 77th birthday she got her wish :)

Attachments

• Hermie.jpg
    Hermie.jpg
    985.3 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20211231_170343354.jpg
    PXL_20211231_170343354.jpg
    865.5 KB · Views: 4

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
You have found the best forum to help you raise your tort correctly. Send pics of your setup and we can make sure it is correct. Pet stores and alot of info is wrong or outdated.
Hermie looks beautiful!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I have always had a tortoise, I'd like to say most of them have all been rescues from homes where I found they shouldn't have been. I have had a Galapagus, Aldabra, several Sulcatas. I had those while I was living in Texas and had the land to take them in and get them healthy. I now live north of Chicago. I miss that lifestyle and my shelled friends and wanting to get back into them again... or at least have just 1 or 2!

I am looking for a couple Spider Tortoises, but they seem hard to find! If you (or anyone you know can refer me, that would be great!) So since they are pretty expensive and extremely hard to find I am open to other species as well, as long as they are on the smaller side, as the ones I had before I would not have been able to keep long term due to lack of space that they require.So if not Spiders, anyone have any other recommendations? I definitely want something on the smaller side, that also provides the beautiful markings that many of the species have. Throw some ideas and pictures my way!

Anyway, looking forward to all of the feedback and learning as much as I can.
It was recommended to me to get a Burmese. My wife wanted a Indian Star, but the Burmese was suggested because they were easier to care for. I never researched any farther because a second tort isn't in the picture. When I think about getting another, I consider my age and who would take care of it.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome to the forum,glad you joined,i'm from central Florida,i have a Hermanns his name is Hermie my elderly mother always wanted a tort so for her 77th birthday she got her wish :)
Big Ron, I also live in central Florida. I am in the Palm Bay area. Great place to raise a tort. Actually southern Florida would be better. The temp differential from north to central to south are different enough to determine what type of night box you need.

Big Ron

Tortoise Club
Florida
Big Ron, I also live in central Florida. I am in the Palm Bay area. Great place to raise a tort. Actually southern Florida would be better. The temp differential from north to central to south are different enough to determine what type of night box you need.
I live just north of Tampa,my tort came early do to the breeder passed away,i'm having to keep him in a 50 gallon tote,i'm recovering from double pneumonia so his enclosure is coming i have all the material,i just need to recover so i can build it he has everything as far as lighting,soaks,and everything else just not his daytime enclosure,but i will post build pics and all materials i use it will just be another week or so till i'm able to work on it so right now,i have a roommate at 50 years old,at least he's a cute little buddy and he doesn't have any annoying things that normally com with roommates :)

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I live just north of Tampa,my tort came early do to the breeder passed away,i'm having to keep him in a 50 gallon tote,i'm recovering from double pneumonia so his enclosure is coming i have all the material,i just need to recover so i can build it he has everything as far as lighting,soaks,and everything else just not his daytime enclosure,but i will post build pics and all materials i use it will just be another week or so till i'm able to work on it so right now,i have a roommate at 50 years old,at least he's a cute little buddy and he doesn't have any annoying things that normally com with roommates :)
I am in the middle of building Opo a new night box. I am using PVC expanded foam board. It's expensive, but nothing to good for Opo. Now I just need to quit procrastinating. ?