Hi Everybody....Also from Austin, TX!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGShell

5 Year Member
Hi,

My name is Tabitha, and I recently adopted a golden greek tortoise. I have so much to learn about them and I hope someone on here can give me some pointers or advice.

Sheldon is set up inside a 40 gallon terrarium, he has a warm spot and cool side. The cool side has consists of his little "pool area." I purchased one of those dishes with the ramp. On the warm side he has a large bark that he can hid under, also uses it to climb every onece in a while. He also has an extra small water dish and food bowl closer to the cool side area than the warm area. And of course the regular light is on for 12 hrs, and the infrared light is always on 24 hrs/day.

1. How much should I feed him? He eats a few slices of apple about twice a week, he does not like strawberries or raspberries. The rest of the week his diet consists of green lettuce, romaine, broccolli, kale and carrots (usually a handfull of it). He will eat his veggies in the morning, and occasionally when I seem him roaming to his food bowl I will give him a few more veggies. I also bought him calcium supplement.

2. I've read the soaks are good for tortoises? Why is this?

3. I've also read a lot about pyramiding, how can I prevent this?

I know this is a long post, but I would greatly appreciate any advice/tips tortoise enthusiasts can give me!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Tabitha and welcome to the Forum!

I don't keep Greek tortoises, so I can't really help you with much about your new tortoise except to say that I think your 40 gallon aquarium is too small for a full grown tortoise. Usually the "gallons" includes the height of the aquarium, and you don't really care how tall it is. What you want is lots of room on the floor for him to get plenty of exercise.

I prefer plant saucers over the waterers that you buy in pet stores.

You really don't have to worry about soaking a full grown tortoise. We soak the babies because of their small size. With the lights and heat we have on them they are essentially on "slow cook," and a daily forced soak helps to keep them hydrated. A full grown tortoise will take drinks when he needs to on his own, with out a forced soak.

Pyramiding happens to the desert-type tortoises in their first year of life. Another thing you don't have to worry about with Sheldon. Unless I'm mistaken and he's a baby.

TGShell

5 Year Member
Hi there! Thanks for the quick response.

Well I've had Sheldon for a week now, when I adopted him from the pet store I was told he is a juvenile, but he is about 6 inches long from head to tail. So I'm not sure if Juveniles still need to be soaked? I have not seen him drink that much water, and the only time he's defecated solids has been when I soaked him for a few minutes.

I've also been reading conflicting information regarding their diet. I was feeding romaine, green lettuce, carrots, and a bit of fruit. But now I've decided to supplement his current diet with wheat grass, hibiscus flowers, and edible flowers which I found at Whole Foods. Am I on the right track?

emysemys said:
Hi Tabitha and welcome to the Forum!

I don't keep Greek tortoises, so I can't really help you with much about your new tortoise except to say that I think your 40 gallon aquarium is too small for a full grown tortoise. Usually the "gallons" includes the height of the aquarium, and you don't really care how tall it is. What you want is lots of room on the floor for him to get plenty of exercise.

I prefer plant saucers over the waterers that you buy in pet stores.

You really don't have to worry about soaking a full grown tortoise. We soak the babies because of their small size. With the lights and heat we have on them they are essentially on "slow cook," and a daily forced soak helps to keep them hydrated. A full grown tortoise will take drinks when he needs to on his own, with out a forced soak.

Pyramiding happens to the desert-type tortoises in their first year of life. Another thing you don't have to worry about with Sheldon. Unless I'm mistaken and he's a baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.