Hi everyone! I need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

squirtle88

5 Year Member
Hello! My name is Adrian and I am from Southern California. I have 2 turtles: one is a red eared slider and the other one is a softshell (spiny softshell I think)
I need help on what to feed them. I tried giving them pellets but they wont eat them. The red eared eats like 70 crickets a day and the softshell only ate 10 fish the 3rd day after I got him and hasn't ate since. I got them 3 weeks ago. What should I feed them??? Thanx!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Adrian:

Welcome to the Forum!!

Water turtles can usually be enticed to eat something that wiggles. I buy night crawlers from the Sporting Goods section at Wal-Mart. They have a little refrigerator there with bait worms in it. You can also feed them red worms, meal worms, etc. Most water turtles really like water hyacinth. Every so often I'll toss in a cut section of zucchini. I've also fed mine thawed mixed vegetables.

Are you sure they're warm enough? Unless they can warm up their inner core, so the food can digest, they won't eat.

Do you have a light over the basking area?

squirtle88

5 Year Member
Hi and thank you for replying! Yeah they have a light. The red eared can easily eat 100 crickets and still be hungry but I just wanna mix up his diet. As for the softshell, he gets enough light as well but for some reason, just wont eat. I'm really worried about him

Status
Not open for further replies.