Hi everyone

Janine M

Location (City and/or State)
Half Moon Bay, CA
Hi,
My name is Janine. I live in Northern California in a town called Half Moon Bay. I am interested in becoming a Hermann's Tortoise mom in the future and wanted to get all the information I could before starting the adoption process. I want to know if the area I live in will be an ideal climate for this or any species of tortoise. We have a cooler summer at 65-85 degrees. Any suggestions? Advice?

Thank you!

IFartHearts

Hi Janine im new too and i know a lot about tortoise i don't think it will be a good idea to keep a Herman tortoise in a 65-85 degree temperature range, i say this because Herman tortoise like to stay in a 85-95 degree temperature if you keep your Herman tortoise in this temperature he could die of being to cold if you live in north Carolina you will have to look for a non tropical tortoise but if Herman tortoise is the one you really want i suggest you keep your tortoise in a large dog play pen ive tried this and my is 26 now ive had him since he was a hatching

PS for more info on Herman tortoise reptile magazine is a great website

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
i don't think it will be a good idea to keep a Herman tortoise in a 65-85 degree temperature range, i say this because Herman tortoise like to stay in a 85-95 degree temperature if you keep your Herman tortoise in this temperature he could die of being to cold if you live in north Carolina you will have to look for a non tropical tortoise but if Herman tortoise is the one you really want i suggest you keep your tortoise in a large dog play pen ive tried this and my is 26 now ive had him since he was a hatching

Hermann's tortoises are from Southern Europe - they are not considered tropical tortoises, as they are not from the tropics or even subtropics.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Janine
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1440277456.100759.jpg
We have a member that has torts in a Alaska . So if you can afford it you can r have any tort you can afford .

Janine M

Half Moon Bay, CA
Thanks for the welcome and info. Is there any recommendations on a tortoise species that would work in my area. Russian?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Thanks for the welcome and info. Is there any recommendations on a tortoise species that would work in my area. Russian?
I was looking at your advater ( the little pic in the upper corner ) is that how you look taking care of your tort they are lucky torts . :) sorry forgot what I was talking about . Have a great tort day!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome. I am in the UK and have a leopard tortoise. He lives indoors in a room of his own most of the time because of our weather, but he has all the uvb and heat he needs from a MVB and CHE and a radiator.
When it is warm enough he has an enclosure outside to use. Not ideal I know but he was a rescue and I make sure he is warm at all times. So It is possible to keep even tropical torts in a colder climate (just maybe more expensive).
I don't know much about Hermanns but I should think it would be possible providing you have al the correct equipment ready and set up before hand.
I'm sure some other folk from your part of the world will give better advice.
Good luck!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hi Janine, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Any tortoise is possible if you get your set up right to begin, but the Mediterranean species such as Greeks, Russians and Hermanns' make good starter tortoises and can deal better with slightly colder conditions.
Have a look at http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/greek-tortoise-testudo-graeca-care-sheet-overview.87146/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
to give you some idea of the requirements for these species.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Janine!