Hi, from an AZ Dessert Tortoise Newbie

Tinker-Tot

Location (City and/or State)
Gilbert, AZ
Hi!

I have a baby DT, who literally stumbled into my yard. After a call to AZ Fish and Game she became mine!

I am just trying to give her the best life possible and keep her happy and healthy! I have gone through all the information from Fish and Game along with Desert Botanical guidelines but really looking to connect with fellow DT owners with life experiences to share.

My husband built her a large enclosure and I created multiple burrows for "her" to hide in. I am also working on a grazing area for her. I am looking to find help on good eating habits, health suggestions, and all around good tortoise information!

Oh "her" name is Tinker-Tot...my 4 year old tried to pick the best boy or girl name and my name is Kate!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Tinker-Tot and Kate and a very warm welcome to tortoise forum.
I am a greek owner myself, but there are plenty here to offer advice on Desert Torts.
Check out the sections under North American tortoises to begin.
And we all love photos here, if you can manage that.
Enjoy.

Tinker-Tot

Gilbert, AZ
Yvonne, I was just reading your post about soaking!! Tinker is now getting ready for a warm soak!! I see her doing this in her water dishes sometimes glad to know I need to be proactive in this!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes. It's very important to keep babies hydrated. Being in an indoor enclosure under lights/heat, we have them on 'slow cook,' and they dehydrate very quickly because of their small size. So a daily warm water soak of 15 to 20 minutes works well.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Kate welcome to the TFO from Phx.AZ. Desert torts Rule ! They are great I've had mine for about 5years.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Cuteness! Sah-weet!
How interesting. Arizona baby tortoises always look so much darker than the California ones. Is that because they are possibly Sonoran?
Welcome to the best place to learn about all things healthy and happy, thriving tortoises, Kate! : )
Gopherus are treasures!

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Beautiful little baby tort. I love Desert Tortoises, they are so personable.