New from Tucson, AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

wardy73

5 Year Member
Hello everyone my name is Dave and live in Tucson, AZ. My son recently found a tortoise on our driveway and to our avail nobody in the neighborhood was missing one. We decided that we would love to keep him/her but really need help identifying it. Below are two pics that hopefully can help!!

Thanks
Dave :)

Attachments

• IMAG0176.jpg
    IMAG0176.jpg
    952.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMAG0178.jpg
    IMAG0178.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 32

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Dave:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

I've got some bad news for you: its a desert tortoise, and they're protected in Arizona. I'm not familiar with your regulations, but you MAY be able to keep it with a permit. You'll have to make inquiries. Here in Calif. the regulating body is called the Department of Fish and Game. I don't know what its called in AZ.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
welcome. I agree with yvonne, contact arizona fish and wildlife on aquiring a permit to keep. Its typically pretty easy to aquire. Welcome to the forum, and ask anything were all here to help.

wardy73

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for the quick response. I too thought it might be a desert tortoise but wasn't completely 100%. After doing a little research and looking at the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum website it looks like I'm in luck!! They are one of the State-sanctioned adoption facilities I found this under their FAQ page.

1. I found a tortoise, can I keep it? Can I release it into the wild? Where should I release it?

It is illegal to collect tortoises from the wild. Wild tortoises will often hiss and urinate on you if handled. Tortoises naturally occur on the lower slopes of mountain foothills, in fairly rocky terrain. If you determine that the animal you found is wild, within 24 hrs. return it to a safe location close to where you found it. If it has been removed for a longer period of time, you must contact the local Game & Fish office (628-5376). However, if you find a captive tortoise, which commonly occurs in Tucson (including densely populated areas), it is best to try to find the tortoise's owner. If this fails, you may keep the tortoise.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Yes its a desert tortoise. Looks like a small female too. Hard to tell if its WC or CB but its shell looks pretty clean so I would guess CB.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome! Looks like you may have gotten lucky once more and can keep her.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Hi Dave! Yes it's a desert tortoise and Arizona game and fish will wantto inspect your home for a suitable environment for him or her. However usually the adoptions of desert torts are done with the desert museum's program. Az game n fish will help with injured ones but recommend if you find one near your land, to leave it be. I would try contacting the desert museum and looking on their website, as they have some valuable info on taking care of them:)

Status
Not open for further replies.