Hi from the UK!

Bobandjeff

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
Hi all,

We have 2 baby Hermann tortoises (born July 2017) called Bob and Jeff. Bob was the runt of the batch of eggs - born very tiny, and isn't growing as fast as Jeff. However he is a happy chappy who loves climbing and bathing. I see from joining this forum that you shouldn't keep tortoises in pairs so we will separate soon to see if that helps Bob. Jeff is larger and loves rocket & dandelion leaves. We live in the south of England with 3 children, who are fascinated by our new pets.
Looking forward to immersing ourselves in the mountains of helpful info on this forum as, whilst I grew up with a lovely Hermann tortoise (found in a friends compost heap when I was 8 - he eventually died of old age when I was 28), we're new to keeping and raising tortoises from birth.
Below are pictures of Bob & Jeff - a few months old. Jeff has grown significantly, Bob not so much, although he is slowly getting larger.

Bob & Jeff.JPG
Bob & Jeff2.JPG

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome to you Bob and Jeff from Kent, UK.

Have you read our guides to care? They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and sadly from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Care of young Testudo
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/b...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

You will need to keep a close eye on your two. Hermann's are a solitary species. In the wild they roam miles in search of food. They avoid other torts, meeting up to mate and then moving on. Another tort is a rival for food and space... gender and being hatch mates makes no difference.

Bullying is common when torts are kept as pairs. This can be physical or mental. Cuddling up to sleep isn't cute: it's one trying to stop the other from being there. A size difference is of particular concern. Each of these needs an enclosure with a floor area of at least 4'x8' (1.5 x 2.2 meters)... That's per tortoise, not together. They should be separated and it will be permanent. Don't weight for one to go into decline or get sick before you do it.

Why not to keep two torts together - a lesson learned the hard way
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/w...together-a-lesson-learned-the-hard-way.94114/

Bobandjeff

Uk
Many thanks for your reply Joesmum - I am taking Bob to the vets tomorrow because he is having beak problems (have just started a new thread in general discussions about it), and I wonder whether it could be an injury caused due to Jeff bombarding him / scrambling over him. I will go and purchase a second enclosure ASAP to separate the 2. Many thanks

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hello and welcome!

How long do Hermann tortoises generally live in captivity? I thought all or most tortoises were really long lived?