Hi, New to this.

CJHawkins

Hi everyone I am new to this site and tortoise keeping. From Scotland and i have two 3 year old hermann tortoises (Sherman and Norman) think they are boys not sure, can you tell at this age? Basically on here to gather all the advice I can to make sure my torts get the best :). Here is my little ones how am I doing so far?

Attachments

• normbum.jpg
    normbum.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 16
  • sherman.jpg
    sherman.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 14
  • sherbum.jpg
    sherbum.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 15
  • prettysher.jpg
    prettysher.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 15
  • norm.jpg
    norm.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 14

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi CJ, and welcome to the Forum!!

Your tortoises look great!

CJHawkins

Hi Yvonne. Thank you :) they are really cute i was worried they were getting a bumpy shell what do you think is this just a normal look for them?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They are just a tiny bit bumpy. You can nip that in the bud by providing them a humid hiding place. I put some moist sphagnum moss inside the hiding place and my babies burrow into it. That seems to be enough to keep the bumps at bay. (But mine aren't Testudos, they're leopards, YF and Manouria)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi CJ. THose bumps are called pyramiding and its really not too bad on your two. Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. This is pretty typical in an indoor habitat with heat lamps. In my experience, stress can also be a contributing factor. It is very stressful for two Testudo to be living as a pair. They would be much happier as the sole kings of their very own castles.

CJHawkins

Hi Tom, Thank you :) I didn't know being a pair could cause stress. They seem to get along fine and they are allowed to run around my flat when I'm in but they are in a viv is this the problem? What would you suggest? Kings i like that hope they are boys.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

CJHawkins

Thanks really interesting. I'm sure i have the space for another enclosure but i will have to give this some thought. Thank you for the advise.