hi to all

JimUK

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi i have 2 tortoises one red foot and one yellow foot. One is 11 yrs old and the other is at least 11. Never really been into posting about them but they are really healthy and active despite uk climate and difficulties of raising them in first year and thought might be nice to chat tortoises as dont know anybody else who keeps them.

Attachments

• Torts.jpg
    Torts.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 32

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Welcome. Love to see more photos of your two - especially the yellow foot! What is the housing situation in the winter like in your climate?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome Jim - I'm also from UK. This is a great place for inspiration and information and I'm sure you'll have valuable contributions to make too,
How long have you owned your torts?

JimUK

5 Year Member
UK
Welcome. Love to see more photos of your two - especially the yellow foot! What is the housing situation in the winter like in your climate?
Hi winter is cold!! I have them indoors and have a planted heated run in the garage for during the day and then at night I keep them in a bespoke viv for heat and humidity. In the summer I give them free run of the garden (which has been adapted to prevent escape) when the weather permits.

JimUK

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome Jim - I'm also from UK. This is a great place for inspiration and information and I'm sure you'll have valuable contributions to make too,
How long have you owned your torts?
Hi I have had them for 11 years now - cant believe how time has flown!! they used to be tiny but the yellow foot is big and the red foot of the same age near enough is less than half the size

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi I have had them for 11 years now - cant believe how time has flown!! they used to be tiny but the yellow foot is big and the red foot of the same age near enough is less than half the size
Is the YF the more dominant? There's often an issue with keeping 2 torts together but I'm sure you would have noticed if here were any bullying issues over food by now.
Will look forward to hearing more about them and seeing pics of your set up.
I have a leopard who has his own room.

JimUK

5 Year Member
UK
Is the YF the more dominant? There's often an issue with keeping 2 torts together but I'm sure you would have noticed if here were any bullying issues over food by now.
Will look forward to hearing more about them and seeing pics of your set up.
I have a leopard who has his own room.

Honestly no - I used to keep them apart but one of my many learning curves over the years was that they were better off together. I think this is one of the reasons I haven't ever really got involved with tortoise discussions as what seems to work with some of the same breed does not work with others and esp with tropical breeds because of the huge variation in natural habitat. So with my pair I ignorantly stumbled into buying them did not know what I was doing but along the way have discovered they both enjoy heat and basking more than most red and yellow foot advice given and don't like the extremly high levels of humidity also strongly recommended. Therefore I think these two might hail from the more savannah and forest edge variations and by luck live very well together. When I did put them apart early on they used to 'bob' their heads up and down and not move around much. put them back together and they move around, bask and eat no probs.

JimUK

5 Year Member
UK
This is them the yellow foot is mungo and the red foot is wilson

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
m1277.gif