hi :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

newtortimom

5 Year Member
hi, my name is cheri, we have just adopted our first tortoises, since we got them last week, i have been doing lots of research on them.
our new babies are not quite a year old, is what we were told , the person that had them just got tired of them, there is 1 redfoot, 1 hingeback, 2 russians
we recently built a torti table, it is 4/8 and 20 high, basking lamp, infrared for night, uvb lamp, am i missing anything?
want them to be as healthy and happy as possible and any imput would be so much appreciated, :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Cheri:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Yes, you are missing a couple more tort tables. You say you've got 3 different kinds of tortoises, but you only said you built ONE table. The Steppe (russian) tortoises require much different care from the hingeback and the redfooted. Depending upon what species the hingeback is, it probably takes different care from the redfooted.

Besides care, different species of tortoise come with different pathogens they their specie has learned to live with over the eons. When you introduce these pathogens, via mixing species, to tortoises from other continents, you run the risk of making your tortoises sick or even dead.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
Welcome to the forum! I agree with Yvonne that keeping those tortoises separate from each other is a good idea. Can you post pics of your tortoises here?

jessrich87

5 Year Member
Hello! Welcome, sounds like you have quite the little family! :) Did the previous owner house them together?

newtortimom

5 Year Member
jessrich87 said:
Hello! Welcome, sounds like you have quite the little family! :) Did the previous owner house them together?

yes they have all been housed together, not sure what we will do , dont have the room for more tables, the last owner was going to let them loose, since they have a small lake, she thought they would be fine, this is the first time they have been out of an aquarium, have never had a heat or basking lamp and only ate food from the pet store, still researching and learning tons from this site

Status
Not open for further replies.