Hibernation disaster - help!

BeccyLMiller

Hello,

I have just joined the forum today as I have had a hibernation disaster and need advice on what to do. I live in the UK and have a Hermann tortoise. We have been gearing up for hibernation for the last 3/4 weeks. I stopped feeding him, and gradually reduced the amount of time his lamp was on. This week I hadn't switched the lamp on at all with a view to hibernating him this weekend. Then my mother who has been away for a few weeks, picked my children up from school and fed the tortoise as that was the usual routine. Not her fault, as she's been away I probably hadn't told her we weren't feeding him as we were winding down to hibernation.

I obviously can't hibernate this weekend now, but I don't know what to do. I'm worried if we have to go another 3 weeks without feeding him that will have been a long time of no food. Would it be better to skip hibernation and just over winter him? If that's the case what would I do, start feeding him every day again etc and just treat him as I would normally. He's so sleepy now as he's been winding down. Argh!! I would really like to hibernate him, but I don't want to risk his health at all as he's a much loved member of the family. I just need advice on what to do for the best!

Thank you for any help you can give :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Beccy, and welcome to the Forum!

Yes, your mom 'fed' the tortoise, but did she actually see him eating, or did she just put food in there. I just can't see a cold tortoise eating anything. I would go ahead with your plan.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
First question: Did he eat?

If not, then proceed as planned.
If yes then turn the lights back on, warm him up for a week, soak daily, and then resume your plan.

I've had this happen before. Not a big deal. I just warmed them up long enough to get the food through, then cooled them back down and proceeded with hibernation.