Hibernation wind down question

Emma25

Location (City and/or State)
North East
Hello, I posted a thread a few days ago about our Horsefield tortoise who we are hibernating for the first time (or we think is probably her first time). We will be on week 2 of no feeding as of tomorrow, and everything seems to be going well, however after she has had her daily soak she seems to be really alert and active, almost as if it is waking her up. She paces around her tortoise table for about 10 to 15 minutes afterwards, she walks through her water bowl and generally just seems alert.

Is this normal, should we be making the soaks a bit cooler (they are luke warm at the moment)? Any advice welcome.

Many Thanks
Emma

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello, I posted a thread a few days ago about our Horsefield tortoise who we are hibernating for the first time (or we think is probably her first time). We will be on week 2 of no feeding as of tomorrow, and everything seems to be going well, however after she has had her daily soak she seems to be really alert and active, almost as if it is waking her up. She paces around her tortoise table for about 10 to 15 minutes afterwards, she walks through her water bowl and generally just seems alert.

Is this normal, should we be making the soaks a bit cooler (they are luke warm at the moment)? Any advice welcome.

Many Thanks
Emma
This is normal and good. She needs to remain active and warm for at least two weeks to empty the gut, and THEN begin cooling and shortening the light cycle.

I just typed this up in response to all the questions like this we get here. I think it will help tremendously:

Emma25

North East
This is normal and good. She needs to remain active and warm for at least two weeks to empty the gut, and THEN begin cooling and shortening the light cycle.

I just typed this up in response to all the questions like this we get here. I think it will help tremendously:
Thank you, that puts my mind at rest that she is acting normally. She has spent the majority of today trying to burrow and dig down in her hide, the lights and heat have been on however we did switch them on slightly later today to gradually bring down the daylight.

The thread you have attached is a great help so thank you!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
...however we did switch them on slightly later today to gradually bring down the daylight.
I would not do that until at least two solid weeks of no food with the normal warm temps and long light cycle. They need the warm temps to clear the food from their GI tract.

Emma25

North East
I would not do that until at least two solid weeks of no food with the normal warm temps and long light cycle. They need the warm temps to clear the food from their GI tract.
Thanks, it was two weeks yesterday that she last ate so hopefully that is ok?