Hibernation

jade_woods

Hi again, I was just wondering if I hibernate my tortoise in winter how long does it need to be in hibernation for ? Also if I don't hibernated how long will it live ??

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
No Tort needs to hibernate in captivity ! In the wild they hibernate cause of food shortages or bad weather ! So if you keep temps up and lights on longer hibernation don't change the torts life .

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
AJade, I can't remember what type of tortoise you had and whether it is captive born or wild caught? Or whether it will be an outside or inside tortoise. All of these can influence your tortoises behavior.

For example, my wild caught Russian is outside; she will hibernate whether I want her to or not. But that doesn't mean I couldn't find a way to keep her inside and awake if I really wanted to.

You find many opinions here on whether to hibernate but Grandpa Turtle is wise in saying tortoises can be healthy without hibernation.

It's good to be asking questions now; you have some time to research and decide what you want to do before fall/winter come. :)