Hibernation

RitaB-25

Location (City and/or State)
Guildford
My tortoise, Bill, who I have had for 55 years, went in to hibernation mid October. He is still asleep and it is now 4 months. Should I wake him up? I have never had to do this before.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
My tortoise, Bill, who I have had for 55 years, went in to hibernation mid October. He is still asleep and it is now 4 months. Should I wake him up? I have never had to do this before.
Hello and welcome from Devon.Does Bill usually wake up on his own? Where does he hibernate? And where does he live - outside in the garden, or indoors? What sort of tortoise is he?
The weather here has been very mixed, hasn't it, and there might be more really cold weather to come, so I would think it would be ok to let him sleep a bit longer. There is lots of information on this forum about how to wake and warm up tortoises, but I am not an expert, and our Hermanns Zola doesn't hibernate, as he mainly lives indoors. I think it is usually suggested that you give them a very long soak in warm water, keeping the water re-heated - to help rehydrate them, and then put them under a basking lamp. Then another warm soak.
Best wishes to you and Bill
Angie

RitaB-25

Guildford
Hello and welcome from Devon.Does Bill usually wake up on his own? Where does he hibernate? And where does he live - outside in the garden, or indoors? What sort of tortoise is he?
The weather here has been very mixed, hasn't it, and there might be more really cold weather to come, so I would think it would be ok to let him sleep a bit longer. There is lots of information on this forum about how to wake and warm up tortoises, but I am not an expert, and our Hermanns Zola doesn't hibernate, as he mainly lives indoors. I think it is usually suggested that you give them a very long soak in warm water, keeping the water re-heated - to help rehydrate them, and then put them under a basking lamp. Then another warm soak.
Best wishes to you and Bill
Angie
He has a wooden hibernation box which has vivarium bedding in it and this is in the garage. The same arrangement for years. He has always woken up himself. Once warm enough he lives in the garden but I have a heat lamp and box for him once he comes out of hibernation. Also do the warm bath soak. Usually I get it right, more of less 4 months to the day he wakes up, this is why I am concerned.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
He has a wooden hibernation box which has vivarium bedding in it and this is in the garage. The same arrangement for years. He has always woken up himself. Once warm enough he lives in the garden but I have a heat lamp and box for him once he comes out of hibernation. Also do the warm bath soak. Usually I get it right, more of less 4 months to the day he wakes up, this is why I am concerned.
Thanks for explaining the situation - I do understand the problem - is it possible to check on him without disturbing him? My guess would be that the weather variability has confused his inner clock, if he is normally so regular. However , if you did wake him up by checking him,I think following his usual routine on waking would be ok. He sounds like a great chap - what sort of tortoise is he? Zola is only 22, but we really appreciate his companionship, -and you have had Bill so long - he must be your oldest friend -how lovely !!
A photo of Bill would be great.
Angie

RitaB-25

Guildford
This is a photo of Bill, taken last year when he was awake!!
Not sure what breed he is, think probably a Hermann. He has had many lives, once escaping his pen and being found floating in a brook, I asked my Mother what she did and her reply was 'well I tip him up to empty him and then put him in the sun to dry out', another time he went missing (escaping again) for 3 days and spotted walking down the middle of the road!
Quite a character.

Attachments

• 20220218_100038.jpg
    20220218_100038.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Not sure what breed he is, think probably a Hermann. He has had many lives, once escaping his pen and being found floating in a brook, I asked my Mother what she did and her reply was 'well I tip him up to empty him and then put him in the sun to dry out', another time he went missing (escaping again) for 3 days and spotted walking down the middle of the road!
Quite a character.
He looks a very fine fellow - thanks ! I have been thinking about him waking up, and I would be inclined to leave him a bit longer - but, as I said, I am no expert. It is only just four months, after all, and he may appear any day. However, if you check on him very gently, you can at least tell if he looks all right - leaving him too long might dehydrate him too much.You could check if he had peed in the box, as that would also indicate dehydration.
I suggest you look on the Forums list at the top of this page, and search for "coming out of hibernation" Or the list of similar threads below , especially the second one, which Yvonne has answered (if you have read much on the TFO you will know Yvonne has a huge amount of knowledge and experience)
Anyway, you will probably be able to sense if he is all right, once you see him.
Good luck, and my regards to Bill
Angie

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If the temperatures are still correct, I'd leave him be. What is the weather doing outside?

This may offer some insight:

And this too:

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Quite a character.
Is there any news about Bill yet? I do hope you will let people here know when he emerges.
By the way, I don't think he is a Hermann, comparing his shell pattern to Zola's, but someone here will know for sure.
Angie

RitaB-25

Guildford
Is there any news about Bill yet? I do hope you will let people here know when he emerges.
By the way, I don't think he is a Hermann, comparing his shell pattern to Zola's, but someone here will know for sure.
Angie
Bill is awake, he has just had a good soak and drink, now under his heat lamp. He started to disturb his bedding and was right at the top, so I made a decision to wake him fully. Thanks everyone for your help and concerns.

Attachments

• 20230219_143943.jpg
    20230219_143943.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Bill is awake, he has just had a good soak and drink, now under his heat lamp. He started to disturb his bedding and was right at the top, so I made a decision to wake him fully. Thanks everyone for your help and concerns.
I am so glad - congratulations. You must be feeling so relieved. He clearly knows what to do and when - but I do understand you worrying. Best wishes to you both from Angie

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I wrote to you earlier to congratulate you and Bill - but my post seemed to vanish - so I will just say again that I am very glad you don't need to worry any longer. Bill is obviously in control !
Best wishes to you both from Angie

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Bill looks wonderful. He seems like a Greek tortoise, my guess. Can we see his (her?) plastron?

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
This is a Libyan Greek, testudo graeca Cyrenaica. They supposedly aren’t brumators, so its good to hear that he’s done it successfully so many times without incident

RitaB-25

Guildford
Update on Bill.
He has been eating a little bit and has managed to get outside when the sun has been shining. Currently he is inside as we are now experiencing very cold weather. Roll on the warmer weather for Bill and for me!!

Tianyuzhou88

North Carolina
This is Libyan Greek. They not supposed to brumate. Did you say you had him for 55 years ? Did he brumate in the past ? Those are highly sensitive species and recently imported a lot into United States

RitaB-25

Guildford
Bill has always hibernated, thus year he took longer to wake up, usually he hibernates for 4 months more or less to the dot, this year he slept in. He is absolutely fine, eating very well and bossing my 2 cats.