Hibernation

Jackie J

Location (City and/or State)
Glasgow
Hi everyone.
I have a three year old male. I haven't hibernated him yet and am extremely anxious about his first time. And was wondering if it is absolutely necessary to do this with a domesticated bred pet. Looking forward to other carers concerns about this.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi everyone.
I have a three year old male. I haven't hibernated him yet and am extremely anxious about his first time. And was wondering if it is absolutely necessary to do this with a domesticated bred pet. Looking forward to other carers concerns about this.
It is not absolutely necessary for any species, but it is beneficial for those species that wold brumate in the wild. Many people don't brumate marginated tortoises, because its debatable whether they brumate in their mild wild climate or not.

Your tortoise is not a domesticated pet. It is captive bred, but it still has all the instincts and proclivities of a wild animal.

MarginatedMooney

Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina USA
I also have an almost 3 year old Marginated, and right now we're thinking we won't try to brumate him.
He is not slowing down at all right now and I thought he might as it gets colder here.

I agree with Tom. Brumating can have some health benefits for brumating species but isn't completely necessary. I believe you can have a healthy tortoise that doesn't brumate if you're taking good care of them otherwise.

If you can keep them warm in a proper indoor enclosure during the winter months, they should be fine. The struggle might be housing them in a big enough space during that time.