Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisemaster

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern England
Hello. We have two 9 year old spur thighed brothers called Laurel
and Hardy. We took them in as it were last May. As the two torts
hadnt hibernated before and we hadnt hibernated a tort before last winter we over wintered them. It was quite hard and a long winter but they were okay in our front bedroom in a 5 x 4 ft tort table with lamps
and heat on. This year's now flown by and we're coming towards the end of November !!!! First of all have we missed the opportunity to hibernate them this year ? We have bought a new drinks chiller (the size of a normal refrigerator). We have been slowing them down by gradually reducing the light and heat, they are now awake from about 10.30am to 2.30/3pm. A couple of things I'm not sure about is firstly
Hardy, as last year, seems to get runny/very loose faeces in the winter
- would he be okay to hibernate ?
If so or if only Laurel would be okay to hibernate please could you advise on how we can help to progress further to hibernate and transfer
tort into the drinks chiller. Do we have to use transparent plastic containers ?
We are in the North of England UK - cold already here shhiiivverrr ....
Thank you Pat :)

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
When someone tells me they have a spur thighed tortoise, I want to make sure I know exactly what kind of tortoise we're talking about before giving advice since this term is easily confused. Do you have a greek tortoise or a sulcata?

tortoisemaster

5 Year Member
Northern England
kimber_lee_314 said:
When someone tells me they have a spur thighed tortoise, I want to make sure I know exactly what kind of tortoise we're talking about before giving advice since this term is easily confused. Do you have a greek tortoise or a sulcata?

Hi Kimber. Thank you for your response :)
They are Greek torts but born here in the Uk.
Many thanks Pat :D

Status
Not open for further replies.