Hibiscus Addiction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herd of Tortoi

5 Year Member
About a year ago I got a cute little Russian Tort from another teacher at my school, and he was in bad shape. Shell a little scratched and dented, somewhat lethargic, runny nose, and so on. I took him home, provided him with a indoor enclosure as well as huge outdoor enclosure for when I was home during the day (pretty often) and then self-administered Panacur for parasites as well as using Reptaid to get rid of his respiratory infection.

Jumby has been rockin the house ever since.

My question - his diet here consists of mixed greens / flower power hay (50/50 ratio) with additional things mixed in (some veggies, shredded on top) as well as things that he can munch outside, such as hibiscus [/align]

Lately, he has not been eating much at all, except he always accepts on thing - hibiscus flowers. I live in South Florida, and he always goes for those things, and in fact lately it is all he is eating.

Do I let him eat those mostly, or do I need to remove them completely until he starts on his normal diet again? I think my Jumby might have an addiction.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saratoga County, New York
I can think of worse addictions ;). I would try to get him to eat more of a variety. You can try cutting up some of the hibiscus flowers and add them to the other things you want him to eat. Chop them up small and give them a spritz of water so everything sticks together.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Laurie offers a great suggestion....also, I have to say there are worse things to have your tort addicted to....lol....I would let him eat as many of the Hibiscus as he can eat....add in a few of the plants leaves and let him eat himself silly....:D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I don't call it tortoise crack for nothing. I wouldn't advise a diet consisting of nothing but hibiscus flowers, I would try and wean him off.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I wouldn't advise a diet consisting of nothing but hibiscus flowers,

I totally agree....sometimes a tort will gorge awhile on a particular food and then suddenly seem like they want nothing to do with it....this I believe is what you have going on....just my thoughts :D

In the wild a tortoise will encounter a variety of foods and they will bloom/become available in waves, so they will gorge on a season growth and then when that item goes away for the season they will move onto the next seasonal bloom and so on...this I believe can drive a tort from time to time to obsess over a particular food ...

Herd of Tortoi

5 Year Member
Thanks for the answers! I will try to chop it up and add to other greens, and then slowly wean him away. Tortoise crack!! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.