Hissy Fits

adore

My foster-Sulcata (found him 3 weeks ago, still searching for his people) has little hissy fits sometimes, stomping his feet and hissing, but only for few seconds. It's usually when he's startled, which I try very hard not to do, but occasionally it happens. Do all torts react so strongly to being startled or does it mean he's not happy?

Or maybe he's just not used to me, and if so, how can I make him feel better around me?

Thanks!!

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Mine 'hiss' when startled too, it's usually from them pulling their heads in really fast.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Charlie will get startled if he doesn't see me coming, and he is very used to me.

Yeah he's not actually hissing at you. When they pull their heads in really fast it expels the air from their lungs making that hissing sound. As long as you have good food, temperatures, and an enclosure he should be happy. :) Good luck with finding his people!

adore

Yeah he's not actually hissing at you. When they pull their heads in really fast it expels the air from their lungs making that hissing sound. As long as you have good food, temperatures, and an enclosure he should be happy. :) Good luck with finding his people!
Thanks!! :)