Housing RF and YF Together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenna

5 Year Member
I have an 11 inch male Yellowfoot and I have the opportunity to adopt a 10 inch female Redfoot. The only way I would consider this is if they could be housed together. I have enough space for the two and I keep the heat/humidity levels at an appropriate level for both species. Anyone have any input on this?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
More than likely, they WILL breed. If that's ok with you, then go for it. Personally, I'm a purist and don't think different species should be allowed to interbreed.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I'm with Yvonne on this one, but it's really a personal preference. Generally, I'm vehemently against keeping two separate species together in captivity, but these two species' ranges do overlap in portions of South America. Though, I still think it is unlikely that they encounter one another frequently as Yellowfoots are more a forest tortoise and Redfoots an edge/savanna species. I'm making these statements based on information I've read in Mike Pingleton's book and at the tortoise library - I'm no expert on redfoot and yellowfoot tortoises. Do they share similar parasites, or has their purported niche separation lead to different parasites/pathogens for each? This would be my apprehension for housing them together; what if one carries a parasite/pathogen that is deadly to the other species?

Just some things to consider...

Range Map:
https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/red-foots/range-map

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
They can be housed together after a proper quarantine period for the new tortoise. These are probably the only torts I would feel safe doing this with (I have done this very thing). As far as crossbreeding, the RF and YF have different courtship behaviors . One thing you will find is the YF will tend to spend much more time in the shade than the RF. Otherwise care is much the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.