How big will he need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Blackburn, U.K.
When my adult redfoot is fully grown what size will his enclosure need to be indoors? i cant keep him outside as i live in britain and it gets very cold....no haters....he gets outside when it is warm he is currently 5 years old and 6'' long how old is he when he is fully grown??...thank you... :D :D :D

Ive been told 6x4ft will be fine...true?

please?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Naturally, the biggest you can afford is the best. They do need lots of exercise for physical as well as mental well-being.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Many European countries have a written legal standard for pen size for tortoises- 8 shell lengths by 4 for one animal. A Red-foot can hit a foot long easily, so it would be 8'x4'.

I am always torn by size suggestions. Obviously, the bigger the better, but there is a lot of anecdotal evidence that they tolerate some degree of crowding well, especially if they get a lot of space in the summer. I had 4 ranging from 4-7" sharing a 9x4 space, which should have been about half the space required by the European standards and I never saw any real evidence of crowding, stress, violence, etc. It is possible that the semi-social Red-foot is OK with less space than other species- possibly only if it is sharing a large space with others.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
this is my rule of thumb for thinking about adult size enclosures. The minimum I think is one square foot for every square inch of tortoise.

Status
Not open for further replies.