How deep??

Triz

Location (City and/or State)
Modesto, ca
I just got a baby slider, it's about a tiny bit bigger than a quarter, the guy who gave it to me could no longer take care of it and had the baby in a tiny little carry tank. I want to put it in a bigger tank but was not sure how deep I can have the water and what temp should it be at? Sorry, first time having a water turtle.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i'd keep the water 78-80 degrees ...... deep enough so he can be completely submerged , if he can reach the top while standing on the bottom , that's probably the safest ........ i never worried much about the depth , i always make it easy to walk to the top , in that they don't have to swim to the top , and i avoid making spots for them to get trapped under water ..... anything they can get under i make sure there is at least 2 ways out .......... the bigger and deeper the more exercise they'll get ......

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not all that well-versed in water turtle care, but I have read that for babies, you want it deep enough so that if they should accidentally get turned upside down they have room to be able to turn back over. . . maybe three or four inches?

I have always trusted Austin's Turtle Page for good information:

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/caresheet-red_ear_slider.htm

Triz

Modesto, ca
Thanks guys!! I will definately get to work on his bigger better enclosure today as soon as I get home from work!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
For raising hatchling basking turtles like sliders, cooters, maps, painteds, I like as much room as possible for swimming and proper exercise. I do use a small tank initially, when first hatched, to get them eating well. Something small so it is easy to find food and only a few inches deep. A bare bottom and plenty of fake or real plant cover for them to hide. I only use this until they are taking food well - normally a week or two. Then I move them to a large tank. Water can be as deep as you like as long as there is plenty of plants to hide in and climb. For their first year or so, I use a large fake plant (plastic) garland I buy at a craft store. Michael's in Modesto will carry them. They are 6 foot long fake plant garlands. I pick one that looks most like a water plant. I put a section of that in the tank large enough to fill at least 1/2 the tank with plenty of plant hides for climbing and hiding. I have it go from tank bottom to surface. I keep water temps at 77° and provide a good basking platform. I believe active swimming and hunting is very important for their proper growth and development.

Triz

Modesto, ca
For raising hatchling basking turtles like sliders, cooters, maps, painteds, I like as much room as possible for swimming and proper exercise. I do use a small tank initially, when first hatched, to get them eating well. Something small so it is easy to find food and only a few inches deep. A bare bottom and plenty of fake or real plant cover for them to hide. I only use this until they are taking food well - normally a week or two. Then I move them to a large tank. Water can be as deep as you like as long as there is plenty of plants to hide in and climb. For their first year or so, I use a large fake plant (plastic) garland I buy at a craft store. Michael's in Modesto will carry them. They are 6 foot long fake plant garlands. I pick one that looks most like a water plant. I put a section of that in the tank large enough to fill at least 1/2 the tank with plenty of plant hides for climbing and hiding. I have it go from tank bottom to surface. I keep water temps at 77° and provide a good basking platform. I believe active swimming and hunting is very important for their proper growth and development.
Thanks Mark! Do you use lighting to heat the water or do You use a submersible water heater?