How do I go about putting wheat grass in my indoor enclosure

nguyenda

Location (City and/or State)
California
I want to purchase some grass for my Sully. Can I use stick the grass and soil it comes with into the substrate? How do I know if it doesn't have any bad chemicals in it? Would buying organic grass get the job done or do I have to buy separate organic soil. I am using coco coir for substrate, can that replace the soil?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Buy seeds of weeds grass etc and just put it in your coir. Any sod you buy will have stuff in it that should be used.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I want to purchase some grass for my Sully. Can I use stick the grass and soil it comes with into the substrate? How do I know if it doesn't have any bad chemicals in it? Would buying organic grass get the job done or do I have to buy separate organic soil. I am using coco coir for substrate, can that replace the soil?

Grass won't survive in an indoor enclosure without some heavy duty lighting. In any normal tortoise enclosure it would also be trampled or eaten in short order. What some people do is sprout their own grass and other tortoise foods in trays outside, then remove some substrate and sink a tray into the substrate. As each tray gets eaten and trampled, you can remove it and replace it with a fresh tray while the other tray recovers and re-grows.

cassgrass

Las vegas
I recently had accidental, and major success with wheatgrass in my encloser. I shop at sprouts so I like to think my groceries are decently trustworthy. I took a little pre grown patch of wheat grass from there (no soil no chemicals) and planted it right by his hide in the coconut choir. It is flourishing. I'm actually a little scared it's gonna go overboard and I don't know what to expect lol. I see it popping up in strange places, and growing beautifully under the mister and artificial sun. A little worried it's gonna get out of hand. My tortoise tramples over it all day and it hasn't ruined it at all. I think he just enjoys the texture