How do you clean your wooden enclosures?

Location (City and/or State)
Olean NY
Hi,

Lewis's box is starting to get kind of nasty. I plan to give it a good clean tomorrow and was wondering what products I should use to clean wood. It looks like mold to me, it appeared under his water bowl.

Thanks
Ashlee and Lewis

Attachments

• 20240128_112304.jpg
    20240128_112304.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Or cut tarpaulin to fit the bottom so the wood won't get wet.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi, I lined mine across the base and about 4 inches up the walls with sticky back plastic in a wood effect. You need a roll, Stanley knife and a ruler. Wipe clean after it is installed 😀.
I would clear the enc and wipe some bleach on the mould and let it dry you need to house the tortoise elsewhere the install this or another solution.
This is a UK link but you get the idea

_The_Beast_

Canada
What kind of substrate do you use? And do you have a liner?

I use vinegar to clean, but I have glass side/bottom instead of wood. Whatever you clean with, it's important to ensure no residue is left behind to absorb into the substrate and make it too acidic (in the case of vinegar) for plants and other friends to be happy (I have live plants in my enclosure as well) or toxic.

Long term, putting something over the wood is the way to go.

Olean NY
I bought some linoleum tiles, I plan on putting them in tomorrow after I give the dark spots a good diluted vinegar and baking soda scrub. To dry it, I plan on using a hair dryer.

I would of gotten a tarp but I'm concerned about him eating it.

Thanks for the advice :)

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi re the tiles maybe use plastic tape to cover the side joints as spillages will seep through under the tiles and never dry.