Wooden tortoise enclosure

Tortoisebaby

Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
I have a wooden tortoise enclosure made out of Fir Wood. I was wondering what would happen if I didn’t line the bottom. Would it mold? I’m getting a Russian tortoise which don’t like wet substrate so I will only mist the enclosure and substrate;therefore, standing or soaking water shouldn’t reach the bottom of the enclosure where the wood is. (The substrate will be four inches high.)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Eventually yes. An adult Russian should have a humid hide of 50% or you can make the whole enclosure humid. If it's a hatchling then 80% humidity is needed.

mrwoodboat

West Columbia, SC
why not buy a can of Flexi Seal and spray the interior wood? It comes in clear, black or white. We primed the interior of ours with an good oil based primer, then FlexiSealed the whole interior. Our enclosure has vents on each end that we can open or close as needed

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a wooden tortoise enclosure made out of Fir Wood. I was wondering what would happen if I didn’t line the bottom. Would it mold? I’m getting a Russian tortoise which don’t like wet substrate so I will only mist the enclosure and substrate;therefore, standing or soaking water shouldn’t reach the bottom of the enclosure where the wood is. (The substrate will be four inches high.)

The substrate for a russian needs to be damp. The lower layers will retain more dampness as the water evaporates from the upper layers. Spraying the surface does very little.

The bottom won't just mold, it will rot all the way through in the space of a few months. Some people use plastic liners of one sort or another, but those never work well for me. The best thing to use is Pond Shield. It is strong, waterproof, and completely non-toxic. @Markw84 has suggested kitchen countertop paint. I've never tried this, but I intend to. I trust Mark's word that it is safe and effective. I've never tried Flex Seal and don't know if it safe or effective. I'd worry about fumes or toxins. If that stuff works and its safe, sounds like a great idea.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
And if you don’t want the Flexi Seal - I for sure would at least recommend multiple coats of KILZ. Untreated wood, covered with any damp substrate, coupled with misting and water bowl spills, is bound to mold, mildew, etc. as they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

And, after the KILZ, a plastic layer of your choosing. Multiple layers of prevention.