How do you properly handle a lg snapper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
My husband and I were out yesterday and we came across a HUGE snapping turtle in the road (State RD). My husband stopped, cause he new he had to :) I got out and had know idea how to move that huge turtle. We were going home from refinishing an iron bed so I got a bed rail out of the back of the truck and tried to push him with it. He lunged and snapped several times. Husband standing back telling me how to go about it, LOL. I just kept messing with him till he had enough and slowly walked into the grass.My husband had put the truck up ahead with flashers so that he would not get hit. People went buy and said things like you are crazy and looked at me like I was a nut but I just could not let him get smashed. After that long story what I want to know is how can you handle these huge snapping turtles? I know he could have removed a few fingers easily. I did take a pic with my husbands cell phone but he is at work. I will try to post it later.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I live in an area where Snapping turtles thrive, in fact, they're the most common turtle found here in the Northern Catskills (New York State) and with the exception of Garter snakes, possibly even the most common reptile in the area. I have come across and been called to many Snapping turtle situations where they need to be removed from roads, peoples backyards and gardens and even from within barns and garages.

I usually carry some heavy leather gloves and a burlap bag in my truck for just such occasions. It's best to handle them with gloves whenever possible to minimize any damage should you get bitten. That and they give off a strong musk when disturbed and the smell can last for days if you get it on your skin.

The safest way to move them is from the back, not the front! Keep in mind that when up on all fours they can actually lunge and spin around at the same time and are much quicker than people expect them to be. Things go smoother if there is someone directly in front of the turtle (but at a safe distance) to distract them while another person grabs the back of their shell just above their tail and rear legs. If possible lift it at a 45 degree angle off the ground, with the front feet touching and it's underside toward you. always keep an eye on the head! Snapping turtles are lightning fast and an adults head can almost reach the rear of it's shell over the top. They will not hesitate to lunge at you, even if they are held in this position. Imediately begin dragging it backwards in the direction that you need to. If they were crossing the road, preferably in the direction that the turtle was headed to begin with. If the turtle has to be transported from the area as when found in a back yard or garage, it's highly recommended that a dark bag, tarp or blanket be thrown over the head of the turtle so that it cannot see it's threat (you). This will be especially helpful when loading the turtle into a truck or box. Keep in mind that while the turtle may not be able to see you, it will still very likely lunge at whatever is covering it's head and you can be bitten through the material that is covering it.
A word of caution: once the turtle has been released, don't assume it's going to scramble away! I've actually had released Snapping turtles come after me once I've freed them! Release them then get a safe distance away as soon as possible.

I've seen many people pick Snapping turtles up by their tails. I don't recommend this because the vertebrae in their tail can be easily dislocated and broken. Their tails are not strong enough to carry their body weight.

The basic rules are: keep the turtle in front of you, always know where the head is and keep it as far from you as possible and don't assume the turtle is going to run from you, it may run at you!

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Thanks for the info. I will tell you that I was a little scared of this guy. I was glad to have the bed rail in the truck cause there is know way I would have even tried to pick him up. He was a neat creature and I hope he stayed off the road.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would say very very carefully, and always count your fingers afterward.

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NJ
I keep a long tube of PVC pipe in my trunk lol. I've seen some people use push brooms too ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.