How does my red foots tank look?

brenden

5 Year Member
I am wondering about the size of the enclosure if it is to small for the little guy. he is about 6 inches long and maybe 4 wide. the tank is 36 inches wide/18 inches deep/12 inches tall. i also have a sensor to keep his tank at 80% humidity and 80 degrees Fahrenheit. he is approximately 1 year old the pet store said.

Attachments

• IMG_0143.JPG
    IMG_0143.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 45

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Metro Detroit
He's a real cutie! Unfortunately that's a bit small for him. Maybe you could try an old book shelf or a Christmas tree storage bin like I've got? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1426191762.656703.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1426191840.610993.jpgthe bin is 5x2. But Reds grow fast, you'll need to upgrade soon. I'm already upgrading.

Last edited:

brenden

5 Year Member
Okay, thanks for responding. I have another question. I just replaced his tank from peat moss (stinky) to coco mulch, and he hasn't been still for hours now, also added the humidifier (instead of spray bottle) is it normal for them to be so active, or does he not like his new set-up?
I'll add that when i had the peat moss he seamed to love burrowing into it. He would burrow himself completely hidden and chill for hours haha, so maybe with the new mulch hes looking for a place to burrow but cant?

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Metro Detroit
My substrate is topsoil then a layer of coir and forest floor mixed. The topsoil holds a lot of moisture plus you can plant live plants for him to hide in or eat. (For plant safety check the plant name at The Tortoise Table.)

Also you can put in some fake plants go him to hide in. Or a real hosta, those are big and leafy, great for hiding.

Here's a pic of my substrate...ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1426198097.764615.jpg