How much do your hatchlings eat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HollyH8

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I have two sulcata tortoises that are approximately 3 months old Hercules and Hazel. I've been feeding them mostly romaine lettuce and occasionally some zoomed food and other veggies. Anyways I give them about a cup full of food once a day and they maybe eat half. I thought they were supposed to eat a lot or is that as they get older? How much do your hatchling sulcatas eat? Thanks!

RogerTheTortoise

5 Year Member
I'm a newbie however when I give Roger the spring mix he goes crazy but when I gave him just 1type of lettuce he would just eat a little here and there. Needless to say I switched back! : )
Maybe it's just a variety thing.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
You need to feed less romain and more spring mix and grass, roamin doesn't give very much nutrition for sullys. Trust me, I have a 10 month old sully that is already 6 inchs long and over 680 grams. I don't give him any romain anymore. Good luck! :)

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
I agree with cemmons12. Cut back on the romaine & try to give your Sully a bigger variety. There are tons of foods that your tort will go nuts over, and they're packed with nutrition. I suggest checking out some of the threads on "diet". Good luck! :)

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
We fed our hatchling Spring Mix when we first got him and then slowly incorporated other types of lettuce. I recommend staying away from the romaine as well. There is a wide variety of greens that you can try though! We always fed him a pile of cut up (into strips) lettuce that was about the size of him if not a little bigger, he always finished it.

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
I feed mine a variety daily, green leaf, romaine, red leaf, collards, grass etc, a large pile in the morning and a smaller pile in the later afternoon, he walks and tramples the pile munching on everything, he will fall asleep right on the pile and then wake and graze it some more, he never really finishes the whole pile but he eats most.. Variety I know is key, never too much of one thing.. And I also supplement him with rept cal with vit D3 couple times a week, when I do the night before I will prepare his morning pile, wash it well and while its still wet I spinkle the supplement on and then put it in a rubbermaid sealed container in the fridge letting it soak the supplement until morning

Status
Not open for further replies.