How much humidity?

JaySparks

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
London
I mist my tortoise enclosure every morning while he eats and again later in the afternoon. My humidity levels are between 50-80, the enclosure is usually at 50 percent in the morning and goes to 80 percent once I mist it but it will drop throughout the day. I was wondering if I should let the humidity drop naturally during the day and mist it again at night before going to bed so that my tortoise has 80 percent humidity at night. I'm also having to completely drench the substrate otherwise the humidity won't go up. Is it more important to keep humidity level during the day or just during the night?

daniellenc

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
If your tort is young and depending on the species humidity is always recommended to be maintained at 80%. Do you have an enclosed enclosure or is it open? I have a closed set-up and only mist the sides of the cage morning and evening along with his hides but keep all other substrate dry. You can also poor water in the corners only to help maintain more humidity but wet substrate equals shell rot from what I have read. Lighting and your CHE or mercury vapor bulb do lower humidity for sure but if your substrate holds humidity well, you keep a dry layer on top, and a closed system with misting or watering the corners you should easily be maintaining 80%.