How often do you manually clean their shells?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa
I have two diamondback terrapins. Their shells were awful looking due to buildup until recently. I took a toothbrush with salt paste and cleaned their shells well.

How often do you clean their shells and with what?

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
ShellyTurtleTort said:
I have two diamondback terrapins. Their shells were awful looking due to buildup until recently. I took a toothbrush with salt paste and cleaned their shells well.

How often do you clean their shells and with what?

I never clean their shells, it's a natural thing to have eagle growth in between sheds. It will all come off each time they shed and will look brand new again. You could add a UV sterilizer to help keep it from happening. Talk to the guys at the turtle room, they're masters of filtration.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
ShellyTurtleTort said:
The turtle room? Another forum or on here?

They do info videos and stuff. Very neat. Google them, you won't regret it.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Thank you guys! You're the best!!

As far as filtration, the most knowledgeable person I have ever come across was gracious enough to write an article for our site a few months back.

Here is his great article: http://theturtleroom.com/blog/2012/11/16/the-complete-balanced-filtration-system/

And if you aren't sure if you want to read, check out his impressive bio:

Pete has been retired for 15 yrs, following a career in Engineering for a utility company which involved him with the design, operation and maintenance of industrial size dry-type filters and filter liquid separators for nearly 30 yrs. He has a B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering from Purdue University. Pete presently has a 66 lb common snapping turtle. After testing different types of media and aquarium filters, Pete has developed a complete balanced filtering system that requires very little maintenance, making filtering a large snapper very easy.

And his Common Snapping Turtle is now 73 pounds, and it's a female!! He must know what he is doing to keep that water so crystal clear :)

Status
Not open for further replies.