New baby pictures! and questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
Ok, so I cleaned the new hatchlings today so I got some group pictures. It's amazing how some of them have bright red ears, while others are more orange - pale orange even. I also had a few questions. They've been hatched out for about 1-2 weeks now and haven't started eating yet. They still have their egg teeth though, and just a hint of yolk - is this normal? When should they start eating?

Also - I took an individual picture of 2 of them. They have black spots on their shells. Is this ok? The other 5 have normal green shells. Also, some have brighter geen shells while others are like a mint green, I assume this is to be expected though?

Saranna

004-6.jpg

001-4.jpg

These are the two with the black patches on them. It's easier to see in person, it's not their pattern - but more like different coloration on their scutes.
003-8.jpg

002-4.jpg

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
Very nice turtles! I also have two hatchlings,(actually about two months or so).They started eating after a week or so.I offered them a few baby meal worms in about a half inch of water and they went crazy!I also gave them some reptomin.Good luck,Tom.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They usually don't start eating until you can't see ANY vestiges of the yolk sac.

As they were hatching, I thought all along that they seem much lighter than the normal RES. Baby RES are usually VERY vivid green, yellow and red. I'm wondering if yours have the "pastel" gene in their DNA.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=17+1797&aid=2613

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NJ
I was wondering if they could be pastels also. But all of the pastels I've seen were very different. Do they start lighter than a normal hatchling and then begin to change? I think I have 1 or 2 that are bright green...the rest are more of a mint green. And it seems the mint greens are the ones that have orange ears.

Saranna

ekm5015

5 Year Member
I do not think they are pastels. I had my two RES since they were the size of a quarter. They were both the same color green as yours. Now about three years later they are 3'' and their shells are dark green, almost black. I think they just get darker with age. Probably because babies hide in plants, so the green color is camoflauge. I probably spelled that wrong. Good luck with the little ones.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I used to start the baby EP's off with blood worms in about an inch of water. Then went into the small reptomin. I wish they didn't have to grow up...they are so adorable when little like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.